Programming 16x4 LCD display

Hi

I am hoping to use a 16x4 lcd display to show the battery voltage of a car battery as well as displaying the number of turns or rope on a which drum for my university project. However before i start going into the more complicated side i have decided to check that i can get the LCD display to work and check that it is compatable with the Arduino board.

The lcd display that i have got is - http://uk.farnell.com/midas/mc41605a6w-spr/lcd-4x16-stn-reflective-5mm/dp/2063247

i have wired it up as shown in the “Hello World!” example and have tried to upload this code to the board to check that everything is working correctly.

The code i have uploaded is -

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

void setup(){
  lcd.begin(16, 4);
  lcd.print("hello World");
}

void loop(){
  lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
  lcd.print(millis()/1000);
}

the issues that i have got is that the LCD display is not showing anything at all, like it is still switched of, is it becasue this LCD module is not compatible with the Arduino board or becasue i have got the coding wrong?

Many thanks

Tris

Edited due to the wrong link!

You might want to sort that link out, it takes me to a Microsoft Outlook Live sign on page.

Usually if the databits or RS or E control lines are wrong, ie do not match the arduino code, then typical symptoms will be that the LCD will show a top row of solid blocks. If you are not getting anything, as though its not switched on then check you have +5v between pins 1 and 2 and also the contrast is correct, usually a pot wiper on pin 3 with adjustable voltage from 0 to +5v.

Texy

Texy: Usually if the databits or RS or E control lines are wrong, ie do not match the arduino code, then typical symptoms will be that the LCD will show a top row of solid blocks. If you are not getting anything, as though its not switched on then check you have +5v between pins 1 and 2 and also the contrast is correct, usually a pot wiper on pin 3 with adjustable voltage from 0 to +5v.

Texy

Hi Texy

i am not getting anything on the LCD display, i have checked across pin 1 and 2 and am getting 5v across these pins, by adjusting the Pot that goes to pin 3 i am able to get a voltage that goes from about 0.5V to 5v.

what would you recommed trying next?

Thanks so far!

Getting another LCD! But first correct the Link to your actual LCD. Texy

From the data sheet it seems like the LCD module is compatible. I suggest you double check your LCD connections,if you are sure all is connected correctly and it still does not work it is possible that the LCD module is damaged.