programming a 2-pin button

The first picture on here of a knockoff Uno ? :)

Pity the real one doesn't run to crystals.......

GND socket = the lower hole in a socket?

[Comprehension slowly dawns*] WOAH THERE!

No, not the earth connection on a mains socket.

• Here in the UK, the earth pin is at the top.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! instead of using an outlet I just connected one pin to pin 7 and the other to a power pin through a 10k ohm resistor!!!! :)

And im talking about an asian outlet(Israeli to be exact) I just did realize it differs

Im not sure whether this question worths a new topic or not but can I use a reistor to make a dc motor work with arduino its pratically a 5v motor but I think it can work with less but It didnt work... can an ohm resistor fix that too?

its pratically a 5v motor but I think it can work with less but It didnt work...

You've already been told that you can't connect (most) DC motors directly to an Arduino.

Which is why im asking if a resistor would help - not direct

I'm beginning to wonder if we have a troll in our midst

just take a look at your Arduino don't connect it up just look at it

do you see pins maked 5v? they will provide 5volts do you see pins marked GND (GrouND) they are 0volts

when we say connect one side of the switch to ground - guess which pin we mean!

NEVER EVER EVER connect anything to the mains except a mains adaptor no NEVER

did I mention NEVER

on the other hand - go grab yourself a Darwin award (and it you're not sure what that is try google) ((and if you're not sure what that is, i refer you to my first comment!))

have fun!

If I have a 5v pin why cant I connect a dc motor directly??

because it can't supply enough current to drive (most) motors

tomer1510: If I have a 5v pin why cant I connect a dc motor directly??

Because that +5vdc pin can only provide so much current. How much current does your motor draw at +5vdc applied voltage when under normal load?

You have around 400ma of maximum current capacity for that 5 volt pin for all external components.

Lefty

Which is why im asking if a resistor would help - not direct

OK here's the answer you want to hear.

Yes, you can connect a small DC motor to an output pin of your Arduino via a resistor. The resistor will limit the current flowing and prevent damage to your Arduino. As an added bonus, the limited current will prevent the motor turning, thereby saving you from injury to any of your body parts in contact with the (otherwise) rotating parts of the motor, and it will therefore save wear and tear on the motor's bearings.

Happy with that answer?