programming a chip with AVRISP mkII

I need to design a board which will either be a reverse shield where an Arduino uno basically plugs into it or i just put an ATmega328 on the board.

If i just use the IC do I still need to use the exact right version and can this be programmed with an AVRISP mkII straight from the Arduino IDE?

SparkyLabs:
do I still need to use the exact right version

Only a limited set of microcontrollers are supported by the official Arduino AVR Boards hardware package:

• ATmega328P
  • ATmega168
  • ATmega32U4
  • ATmega2560
  • ATmega8
  • ATtiny85 (but not very well)

However, thanks to the hard work of the amazing Arduino community, support for many other AVR (nearly all) microcontrollers is available by installing 3rd party hardware packages.

If you want more information, you'll need to tell us which microcontroller you're considering.

SparkyLabs:
can this be programmed with an AVRISP mkII straight from the Arduino IDE?

Yes.

I'm happy with the 328P, in the past there was an issue with it having to be the "P" version so i don't know if that extends to packages.

So I am not too fussed about the specific version of chip as i have the space. So if i just put the chip on the PCB can I then proram it with ease? These are just a couple of one offs so if needs be I can plug the whole arduino uno on the PCB but it would be nice to do a half decent job.