Programming a PIC16F883 with Arduino

HOLD ON! HOLD ON ! HOLD ON!!!

BEFORE EVERYONE LOSES THEIR MINDS LET ME EXPLAIN MYSELF

Hi, my name is, artistblock307

I want to build a Atmel BASIC code interpreter (in other words a atmel based mini computer that works out BASIC functions).

here is a good example by Ben Heck: Build a Retro Computer: BASIC 80's Pocket Computer - YouTube

Later on, after a lot of research I found this version: My tiny computer final version - YouTube

anyway, to build either you need to hack a xbox chatpad or as shown in different versions a massive ps/2 keyboard. Now since I want to keep the project portable, I want to know is there a way to use an arduino as a pic kit, since buying a pickit3 is expensive for a one time use. Maybe, for example, like how if you can remove the atmega328 from the board and use it as a ttl to usb converter

Does anyone if it's possible?

Hello,

I too am trying to build a version of the Retro 80s style BASIC computer (using a Nokia 5110 with my custom text only frame buffer - 84 bytes, 6 lines x 14 character, bottoms up, single line backspacing and tab supported).

Environment/Parts/Code:
Arduino IDE 1.5 (Tiny BASIC and Tiny BASIC Plus won't compile in any IDE much higher than this)

Arduino Uno R3 (will change to Arduino Nano after testing)

2 AA to USB power supply ($1 from Dollar Tree) (will update to 2200mAh or larger USB rechargeable battery pack plus a pulsing "keep awake" circuit with passthru)

Nokia 5110 LCD (custom text only frame buffer, only library to load is for PROGMEM), 6x8 fixed spacing font (5x7 with 1 pixel horizontal and vertical spacing built in, underline possible by OR'ing 128 to the output bytes), codes 1-6, 11, 12, 14-31 available for custom characters (7 = bell/tone to be added if speaker connected, 8= BS, 9=Tab, 10=LF, 13=CR).

Chatpad (still attempting to reprogram)

Tiny Basic 0.03 (I have tried several times to add both LCD 20x4 and Nokia (individually/not at same time) displays to 0.13 and it fails). I have asked Bluellama if I can get a copy of source codes/sketches between 0.03 and 0.13 so I can see how far up I can go before failure.

I did try connecting and testing the cliffe! library (less work and reusable if I ever get an XBOX 360/1) and kept getting garbage. So I decided to try reprogramming the PIC16F883.

And I just found a BIG problem: seems Microsoft (or someone else) caught on to the re-purposing of the Chatpad. The one I got has the "Code Protection" flag set and you can't dump new code using the Programmer.
Looks like it needs a full IDE (MPLAB) to read flags, clear "Code Protection", reset/set flags as needed, bulk erase, and write code.

I don't know which one to use, especially with my PICKIT 2 and web searches don't show supported chips (and installing/uninstalling each and every one is ridiculous, it should be in the program's description or readme).

Any help is appreciated.

This is an Arduino Forum and Arduinos use Atmel MCUs. I strongly suspect you need advice from a PIC or MicroChip Forum.

It will not have escaped your notice that there were no replies to the Original Post even after 6 months.

...R