Programming a Pressure type Proportional Solenoid Valve

Hello All,

I am new to the Arduino forum and I am also new to programming with an arduino. I bought a proportional solenoid valve (Pressure type) and I would like to create a code that would let it deliver different air pressure outputs with different commands. For instance, if i give a command of 1 it should deliver a different pressure output than if I enter a command of 2.

With some help, I have already built the circuit for the valve (please see the picture attached) but I am a unclear with how to continue. The source of air delivered through the valve is compressed air from and air tank and it will be delivered through the valve and into a linear actuator.

Please I will greatly appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you

Post a link to the data sheet for the valve.

The circuit is incomplete. You very likely need a flyback diode across the valve coil, and a current limiting resistor between the output pin and the transistor gate. Omission of either will eventually cause the Arduino and/or transistor to be destroyed.

Google "arduino motor control" for lots of ideas.

Thank you so much for your help. I will begin working on getting the flyback diode and resistor. What type of resistor do you suggest I use?

Here is the link to the data sheet for the valve as you requested: http://www.smcbr.com.br/pt_br/catalogo/docs/frl/electroair/VEF-VEP.pdf

It looks like it has a resistance of 13 ohms and a max current of 1A.

so you need : a 13v supply capable of >1A
: an arduino pwm output driving a suitable transistor ( eg a IRL1104 ),
: and a catch diode across the solenoid coil

regards

Allan

Hi.
OPs circuit
circuit2017.jpg
Tom… :slight_smile:

Hi,
You need something like this;
MOSFETValve.jpg
Tom… :slight_smile:

All he's missing is the diode.. and perhaps a gate pulldown resistor ( 10k?) to be safe and series R of perhaps 150 R to limit peak current..

Allan.

The 2N7000 MOSFET is completely inadequate for this task, only rated for 0.2A, and has a very high
on-resistance. Its a small-signal device, not a power device.

A logic-level power MOSFET is required with an on-resistance of 0.2 ohms or less ideally, but for 1A its
not too demanding.