Programming adapter

Received a ProtoSnap - LilyPad Development Board DEV-11262 from Sparkfun a while back. Could not get a sketch into it, sure appeared to me that there was no bootloader installed - no matter what I did, as soon as Reset was released it immediately went into a flashing light sequence output.

Worse, SPI pins are not brought out to any connecter for rebootloading.
Traded some e-mails with Sparkfun support, they're supposed to be sending a replacement.
In frustration in the meantime, ordered, and received!, one these from Hobbyking

while waiting for the Sparkfun replacement to arrive:

Made up a 5x2 to 3x2 adapter to connect it my Atmel MKii, took a few tries to get it pressed down evenly against the Lilypad, but was eventually able to get the Lilypad bootloaded.
Still haven't seen the replacement from Sparkfun.
Thanks to XL97 for pointing this adapter out a while ago.

Given that SPI/ICSP is (presumably) not available, what mechanism is the Atmel MKii using to upload the bootloader?

The adapter pictured has 6 spring loaded pins that make contact with Reset, SCK, MISO, MOSI, GND, VCC to program the 328P on the board.

Have you tried this:

1020S02.gif

I might be able to make one for a 28 pin 328 similar to this.
Thanks for the idea.

POMONA_DIP_CLIP_8_PIN.jpg

Yes, that would work on a DIP. Need more pins, as reset and the SPI pins are at opposite ends of the package.

CrossRoads:
The adapter pictured has 6 spring loaded pins that make contact with Reset, SCK, MISO, MOSI, GND, VCC to program the 328P on the board.

Oh, you mean you access the pins on the chip itself rather than via pins on the PCB? I get it.