Programming an ATMEGA328P for breadboarding with Mac OS X

I’m creating a scoreboard for a school project, using an Arduino UNO to program an ATMEGA328P.

I was able to load programs onto it while I was breadboarding, with jumper wires connecting the pins over to the breadboard. Once I had my coding and breadboarding complete, I created a PCB and soldered all the components onto it. I forgot about needing a crystal and capacitor until after I had completed the entire board. I found this linkhttp://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard on using the chip on it’s own without needing the crystal or extra capacitors.

Loaded the breadboard file into the hardware folder, followed everything, then got the following message

‘A0’ was not declared in this scope

Following some advice I found online, I changed A0 to 14, A1 to 15, etc.

Tried uploading again and got this message

In file included from scoreboard_good.cpp:1:
/Users/creelmania/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Arduino.h:212:26: error: pins_arduino.h: No such file or directory

I was told that the directions for using an ATMEGA on a breadboard without a crystal could be for older IDE’s so I downloaded .23 and now I get the following message

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

And now I’m completely lost, so here I am.

Any suggestions?

It sounds like you've got the board/ship definition in your sketch folder instead of the install directory. I'm not sure if this is intended or not, but I came across it earlier when messing around with one of my projects.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,99075.msg742844.html#msg742844

(This was using 1.0)

For OSX you have to open the package and edit the boards.txt in there - or you can copy all the core files into your sketch folder

I am also using the breadboard internal clock boot loader and I have never been able to make it work with V1.0 IDE. I know others have had some issues with this bootloader on the new IDE and some of them solved it but I didn't figure it out yet. Try IDE 0023 and it should run with no problem.