Programming an ATMEGA32U4 on own PCB with programmer via ICSP

For my current project I’m using an ATMEGA32U4 on a PCB of my own for the first time (previously I only used ATMEGA328Ps on own PCBs and on a breadboard). I’m using it in TQFP44-package. Unfortunately I created a solder bridge between two pins. I got rid of it after some time, but I used the soldering iron (360°C) on the regarding pins very often, so that I possibly damaged the ATMEGA. I tried to program it with a AVRMKII compatible programmer (which works fine on an ARDUINO UNO), but I’m always getting the same error message (I don’t have the message at hand at the moment, but the message included “…check cabling…”, …). In the ARDUINO-IDE I set the board to “LEONARDO”. Attached please find a screenshot of the (modified) circuit diagram which shows the parts that I soldered to the ATMEGA before trying to upload a program (to test if the ATMEGA is working). Is there anything missing?
Thanks for the answers in advance!

Can you post a photo of your circuit and the error message ?

MalharD:
Can you post a photo of your circuit and the error message ?

error message:
"
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed

avrdude: stk500v2_program_enable(): bad AVRISPmkII connection

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1

Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
"

Joegi:
For my current project I'm using an ATMEGA32U4 on a PCB of my own for the first time (previously I only used ATMEGA328Ps on own PCBs and on a breadboard). I'm using it in TQFP44-package. Unfortunately I created a solder bridge between two pins. I got rid of it after some time, but I used the soldering iron (360°C) on the regarding pins very often, so that I possibly damaged the ATMEGA. I tried to program it with a AVRMKII compatible programmer (which works fine on an ARDUINO UNO), but I'm always getting the same error message (I don't have the message at hand at the moment, but the message included "...check cabling...", ...). In the ARDUINO-IDE I set the board to "LEONARDO". Attached please find a screenshot of the (modified) circuit diagram which shows the parts that I soldered to the ATMEGA before trying to upload a program (to test if the ATMEGA is working). Is there anything missing?
Thanks for the answers in advance!

What are your fuse setting?

Chuck.

chucktodd:
What are your fuse setting?

Chuck.

I don’t know, I’m using the ARDUINO-IDE to program the ATMEGA!

Joegi:
error message:
"
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed

avrdude: stk500v2_program_enable(): bad AVRISPmkII connection

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1

Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
"

I said " PHOTO of the circuit " ,didn't I?? You have posted photo of the schematics.

Go to preferences and both check boxes after "Show Verbose output "

Then try the same and post the error in code tags,please.

Joegi:
I don't know, I'm using the ARDUINO-IDE to program the ATMEGA!

What do you mean ?
What was you doing ? Burning the bootloader ? Uploading a program ?

MalharD:
I said " PHOTO of the circuit " ,didn’t I?? You have posted photo of the schematics.

Go to preferences and both check boxes after "Show Verbose output "

Then try the same and post the error in code tags,please.

What do you mean ?
What was you doing ? Burning the bootloader ? Uploading a program ?

I tried to upload a program (with programmer and board setting “LEONARDO” in the IDE), to see if the ATMEGA32U4 is working (or if I killed it by overheating during soldering)! I suppose that I killed it, because I connected it as i connected the ATMEGA328Ps in my previous projects. I also tried to burn the bootloader, but as expected, I also got an error message. I have a second PCB and another ATMEGA32U4 and will try again now. I’m soldering with 360°C/680°F. Is that too much for an ATMEGA?

Another question is, do I have to burn the bootloader via programmer and ICSP, because I read that the ATMEGA32U4 already has a bootloader installed. I suppose that the factory-installed bootloader is different to the ARDUINO-IDE’s, but can’t I use this default bootloader to upload the ARDUINO-bootloader, so that I would not have to add the ICSP port to my PCB?

What about the capacitors for the Quarz? The Quarz has a Cl of 32pF and I’m using 22pF capacitors. Calculative the capacitors should have a higher capacitance, but I read that there is a big tolerance!?
Thanks for the help!

Reduce the soldering temperature to 260°C.

The factory just uploads the USB interface firmware to it.
You will need to burn the Leonardo Bootloader through ISP

See fi that work with the two 22p caps, if it dosent, remove the 22p caps and try again.

It’ll be nice if you post a photo of your setup.