Programming Arduino Mini

Hey everyone,

I have connected the arduino mini R5 correctly (to the best of my understanding, get into that a bit more in a minute) and am trying to upload code to it but the mini is not showing up in the serial port.

Some info:

• I was able to upload code to it successfully a few days ago.
  • I have the arduino mini selected under tools, as well as the correct Atmega.
  • I have downloaded arduino on a few computers and tried, the same issue occurs.
  • I have tried with a separate arduino mini, and the same issue occurs.
  • I'm using an arduino uno with its computing chip removed to program the arduino mini. Arduino uno is connected to my macbook through usb. The connections between arduino uno and mini are as follows:

Arduino Uno R3 --- Arduino Mini R5

TX --- TX

RX --- RX

Reset --- R

3v (also tried 5V)- 5V

GND --- GND

This is for a watch I'm making. I've spent a lot of time designing the damn thing and need to get this to work. The good is 100% done I just need to upload it. Any and all help is appreciated!

USB-TTL converters are so cheap, why wouldn't you buy one instead of mucking around with the Arduino Uno?

I just haven't used one before, is there one you would recommend that would work for this application? I'll purchase it, test it out, and let you know results soon.

pahi9557:
I just haven't used one before, is there one you would recommend that would work for this application? I'll purchase it, test it out, and let you know results soon.

I buy them on eBay.

Getting this right now FTDI Cable 5V - DEV-09718 - SparkFun Electronics

Do you download any additional software or is it compatible with with the mini's bootloader already?

pahi9557:
Getting this right now FTDI Cable 5V - DEV-09718 - SparkFun Electronics

Do you download any additional software or is it compatible with with the mini's bootloader already?

It needs the FTDI driver for which there is a link on that page.

thx 4 ur help, i'll post back results.