Programming Dot Matrix Display Drivers using Arduino as ISP

I have been following this tutorial to program the XC4498 RGB LED Driver Board using an Arduino Uno as an ISP.

I can upload the ArduinoISP sketch to the board successfully, I have attached the LEDs too for reference.

When wiring the XC4498 to the Uno for writing to it the 'L LED' turns off, I am not sure if this is an issue.

Once wired I have the code I wish to upload to the Driver Board, change the programmer over to 'Arduino as ISP' and then Burn Bootloader and upload sketch.
This has worked once, that is successfully burning the bootloader and uploading a sketch that runs. However now each time I try to burn the bootloader or upload a new sketch to the Driver Board, or to a new driver board (I have several for this project), I receive the following errors:

avrdude: stk500_recv() : programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0c

for all 10 attemps. Followed by:

Error while burning bootloader

(or Problem uploading code to board on the occasion that the bootloader burns successfully)

The error LED from the ArduinoISP lights up and the heartbeat LED no longer 'beats'.

I have tried different machines, different cables, different jumpers all to receive the same errors. I am able to upload other sketches to the Uno and they upload and run without any errors.

Is there anything I can do to fix these errors?

Please do this:

• File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > upload (check) > OK
  • Tools > Burn Bootloader
  • After the process fails you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages”. Click that button.
  • Paste the error messages in a reply here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the forum toolbar).