programming for a garbage robots using an ultrasonic sensor

hello. I’m trying to build a robot that picks up trash, but I have a few programming questions. The robot consists of two DC motors that are for the movement of the robot. The robot uses two servos to pick up trash, and the robot also uses a buzzer that is controlled by the ultrasonic sensor. The first question is how do I code the DC motors to travel a certain distance, such as ten feet. So far, this is the code I have (from Mert Arduino).

const int leftForward = 2;
const int leftBackward = 3;
const int rightForward = 4;
const int rightBackward = 5;

void setup() 
{
  pinMode(leftForward , OUTPUT);
  pinMode(leftBackward , OUTPUT);
  pinMode(rightForward , OUTPUT);
  pinMode(rightBackward , OUTPUT);

}

void loop()
{
  digitalWrite(leftForward , HIGH);
  digitalWrite(leftBackward , LOW);
  digitalWrite(rightForward , HIGH);
  digitalWrite(rightBackward , LOW);

}

The second question is, how I would combine the individual codes?
This is the code for the ultrasonic sensor controlling the buzzer (from Arduino Hub and edited, and I’m not using the LED)

/* This simple project describes how to make an ultrasonic alarm system using 
LED, Ultasonic Sensor(HC-SR04) and a buzzer.*/ 

//Firstly the connections of ultrasonic Sensor.Connect +5v and GND normally and trigger pin to 12 & echo pin to 13. 

#define trigPin 12
#define echoPin 13
int Buzzer = 8; // Connect buzzer pin to 8
int ledPin= 6;  //Connect LEd pin to 6
int duration, distance; //to measure the distance and time taken 

void setup() {
        Serial.begin (9600); 
        //Define the output and input objects(devices)
        pinMode(trigPin, OUTPUT); 
        pinMode(echoPin, INPUT);
        pinMode(Buzzer, OUTPUT);
        pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {

digitalWrite(trigPin, HIGH);
    delayMicroseconds(10);
    digitalWrite(trigPin, LOW);
    duration = pulseIn(echoPin, HIGH);
    distance = (duration/2) / 29.1;
    //when distance is greater than or equal to 200 OR less than or equal to 0,the buzzer and LED are off
  if (distance >= 200 || distance <= 0) 
        {
        Serial.println("no object detected");
        digitalWrite(Buzzer,LOW);
        digitalWrite(ledPin,LOW);
        }
  else {
        Serial.println("object detected \n");
        Serial.print("distance= ");              
        Serial.print(distance);        //prints the distance if it is between the range 0 to 200
        tone(Buzzer,400);              // play tone of 400Hz for 500 ms
        digitalWrite(ledPin,HIGH);
  }
}

This is the code for the servos moving

/*
#include <Servo.h>

Servo servoLeft;  //Define left servo
Servo servoRight;  //Define right servo

*/

void setup() {
  servo.attach(10)  //Set left servo to pin 10
  servo.attach(9)   //Set right servo to pin 9
}

My last question is, how would I program those things to work after another? I wanted the DC motors to move a certain distance, then for the sensor to detect the trash, and then, after ten seconds, for the servos to pick up the trash. i know I’m asking alot of questions here, and any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

If you know the speed of the motors and how long they ran then you know how far you've gone -- kind of.

If you put an encoder on the motors then you know how many rotations they made. If you know also how big the wheels are then you know how far you've gone a bit closer.

That is a solved problem. Do some research. It's been covered a million times.

My larger concern is the ultrasonic sensor. How will it know the difference between trash and not trash?

Hello

Looks like you are trying to do something way beyond your current skill set... you should put that project aside for a few weeks and learn the basics for each of your individual components and standard programming technics on arduinos and in general C++ (beyond basic language structure - such as state machine, handling time with millis, handling motors etc)

The motor code you have is bad....the loop does not need to keep setting pins to the same value..Telling your robot to move 10 feet is not an easy task especially without a way to get precise position... You can say to a motor turn for x second or y steps and in theory the distance you will move is related to the circumference of your wheels but also can heavily depend on terrain (slippery, bumpy,...)

First, thank you for replying. Unfortunately, I'm short on time and I won't be able to stop the project. I will Leeann about what you suggested.

jessabu:
Unfortunately, I’m short on time and I won’t be able to stop the project.

Then I’m afraid the prognosis for success is not good. Taking time to learn what you need is always quicker than floundering.

Have a look at Planning and Implementing a Program

Of course the answer may be to get someone to write a program for you. If so please ask in the Gigs and Collaborations section of the Forum and be prepared to pay.

…R