PROGRAMMING IDEA/HELP

My current project is a drone. So im wanting to go off the wall and control it via bluetooth using my arduino 101's BLE. Now. I have no idea how bluetooth works and how I can send data from a program on my laptop (that has built in bluetooth) that will be interperted by a custom program I will write. I am wanting to write my laptop program by hand and I'm wanting to write it in Java (which is my main programming language) so if yall have any suggestions I am completly open to it as well as if you know of any articles that would help me it would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone is working on a similear project and would like to join me in writing the computer program, shoot me an email (maxxavery5200@gmail.com).

Bluetooth has a very limited range... Do you want to control your drone in a very limited space?

I am wanting to write my laptop program by hand and I'm wanting to write it in Java (which is my main programming language)

Consider Processing which is written in Java but is syntactically similar to Arduino.

Reading assignment: Google search

Ray

I want to control it the same way someone would control a quad copter. I could do it with a minimum of two bytes. I dont necessarily know the limits of BLE.

So you want to control your drone with a laptop as your controller?
Do you already have a built drone?
Sending instructions to an Arduino is simple, I actually just made a Bluetooth remote app today with the MIT App Inventor thing and I can turn on/off lights/relays, fade things, etc. And I'm relatively an idiot.

But why Bluetooth for the drone? Esp with BLE, isn't the range a lot shorter than one would want for a flying drone?

Theonlymaxx:
I want to control it the same way someone would control a quad copter. I could do it with a minimum of two bytes. I dont necessarily know the limits of BLE.

The typical quadcopter is controlled with an RC transmitter that has at least 4 and typically 6 or 8 analog channels. The minimum four channels are controlled by two joysticks. I would expect at least one byte per channel but two per channel would be better.

According to some tests run. BLE can transmit around 250ish feet. That's well over my distance i'm going to need at the moment. My current goal is to get a working prototype that i can expand upon. As far as controls go, i'm open to suggestions since i'm not very familiar with the controlling a quad copter. I can figure that out later. All i need to know is how to transmit and receive data from my Arduino 101 as well as transmit and receive data from my laptop and know the limitations of how much data can be sent over BLE.