programming language to interact with arduino

Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a wireless robot and i want to create a windows application or software that interacts with the robot by sending values to specific ports to control the robot. I have the device that will talk to the arduino wirelessly, but i am wondering what would be the best programming language to communicate with the arduino. Anyone have any idea's? If so could someone recommend a link or a book. Thank you in advance to anyone that replies.

Jeremy

but i am wondering what would be the best programming language to communicate with the arduino. Anyone have any idea’s? If so could someone recommend a link or a book. Thank you in advance to anyone that replies.

Well the normal communications path into and out of a Arduino board uses the serial commands. So any PC programming language that supports communications via the PC comm ports will work, so use what you know. Not sure how your wireless stuff works, but if it’s serial data in and out, it will be the same as using the USB serial channel.

Here are some PC software language examples from the arduion playground:

http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/InterfacingWithSoftware

Processing is great. Its easy to use and has good support, also you can use firmata if you have a wired connection. Also because wiring is based off of it its pretty familiar to use.

If you want something that will ease the making of a graphical interface then Visual Basic can be used to make the GUI without a single line of code, then just simply code what you want done when you press a button etc... and VB pretty much codes it self , not literally but sorta.

Processing is great. ... Also because wiring is based off of it its pretty familiar to use.

Wiring is based on C/C++, Processing is based on Java. Don't get too familiar.

Don't get too familiar.

Haha I know. I know each one separately but the interface being the same is nice. At this point I know processing, wiring and basic (good times back in middle school) and I've also played around with HTML and visual basic. Its nice to have an at least basic understanding of several languages I think. Learning basic was pretty much useless in itself but it laid the groundwork for understanding how computers "think" and helped learn why things in other languages work the way they do.