Programming Servos?

Hi all - kind of a basic question - have not exactly found an answer by searching…
I hear much talk of “programming servos”. Seems to me that people are actually programming controllers to manage the servos. But then there are “programmable servos” which sounds to me like there are parameters onboard the servo that can be changed. And then there are the programming interfaces like the Hitec DPC-11. It all seems a bit confusing. Many thanks to those who can explain this to me!

Your exactly right..

Imagine a signal PWM meant to go to a servo instead going to a microcomtroller that takes that input and then modifies it by some parameter and then outputs it to a “normal” servo.

If a “certain” PWM signal is sent, the microcontroller saves the next set of signals to eeprom as the new set of parameters to use.

Now put that microcontroller inside the servo case and that little miracle of control is the servos your talking about.

So with a “parameter change” you can reverse the servo, change speed, change limits ect ect.

Thankyou Slumpert -
So what I understand you to be saying is that in programmable servos, the PWM signal from (as an example) an Arduino goes to a microcontroller -in the servo- and this microcontroller modifies the signal to change parameters. Is this correct?
Please forgive me for being so simplistic, but what parameters other than speed, direction, and position can be changed?

Yea, except it’s gets even better in that in dual controller senario like you described you can send a digital data pulse from the arduino to the servo and the servo micro controller will take that pulse and control the servo motor using a encoder to be a 100% digital controller system.

Instead of having a PWM signal wire to each servo from a controller that starts to look like a hot mess in a hurry , you can hook all the servos up to a single digital line and address them individually.

AH!!! I think I understand now - analogous to individually addressable leds - a serial data line runs the show, rather than running individual RGB lines to separate PWM outputs.... “And one Arduino to control them all...”. makes much more sense now! Thanks!