Programming the Arduino NANO 33 IoT Bootloader

This seems like a very basic question, but I have spent some time looking through tutorials and documenatation and can't find the answer. I just purchased an Arduino NANO 33 IoT. I downloaded the IDE to my windows PC and successfully created and uploaded a sketch. Now i need to program it into the arduino so that it runs standalone. Please can you provide the information on how to do this? I have an Atmel-ICE programmer, and this is listed in the programmers, but I can't figure out how I should connect it. This is very frustrating. Please can you help?

(deleted)

JohnFrankham:
and successfully created and uploaded a sketch.

Just to explain the process

A sketch is translated from text to executable; in Arduino land, this is called verify.
2)
The executable is uploaded to the board and will live there forever (see spycatcher2k’s reply).

JohnFrankham: This seems like a very basic question, but I have spent some time looking through tutorials and documenatation and can't find the answer. I just purchased an Arduino NANO 33 IoT. I downloaded the IDE to my windows PC and successfully created and uploaded a sketch. Now i need to program it into the arduino so that it runs standalone. Please can you provide the information on how to do this? I have an Atmel-ICE programmer, and this is listed in the programmers, but I can't figure out how I should connect it. This is very frustrating. Please can you help?

Perhaps I can help.

Most Arduino Sketches wait for the serial monitor, so they can't actually run until you activate the monitor. If you want your sketch to just run immediately then take out the waiting for the serial monitor.

Serial.begin(9600);
  while (!Serial);

You would then have to go through and remove any serial.print commands. Hope this is helpful. Your Atmel-ICE programmer should only be needed for advanced things like replacing the bootloder.

Thanks so much. I knew it had to be something trivial. I removed the while(!serial) command and it fires up every time. Overlooking the obvious again. John

JohnFrankham: Thanks so much. I knew it had to be something trivial. I removed the while(!serial) command and it fires up every time. Overlooking the obvious again. John

No Problem. I am the king of overlooking the obvious.

Hi,

When you say standalone arduino 33 IOT, I also removed the serial being and other serial.print commands. Though can I keep the cable connected to my PC for power or I need to connected external Power supply to be able to run the Arduino Nano 33 IOT in standalone mode?

Vikram

sketch_26032020_1343.ino (1.52 KB)

@gokhalevikram

You can use the PC to power the Nano33 IoT; no need for other external power supply.