Programming the Flora

Hi, I'm new to programming and my questions may be stupid, but it doesn't matter. I need help. I bought the Flora board and tried out some of the projects. Now, it's one thing to copy and paste code, but another to write your own. Many of the tutorials are adapted to that specific project, and even if they explain the code it's difficult (too much, too soon). As a beginner I need basic tutorials like the ones you have for the Arduino Uno board. Are there any books on the Flora board teaching you how to plan code and change it depending on if you add extra pixels or sensors? Why don't you do some tutorials with pixels and other stuff that cover the basics? Will I be able to program the Flora if I learn to program the Arduino Uno? Or do the two boards differ in any important way? Can you point me in any direction when it comes to teaching myself how to program the Flora? It would be nice if you could make some simple lessons here available for people who are starting with the flora. Or maybe there are lessons out there on the Gemma instead that apply to Flora.

/Jens

FLORA is Adafruit's fully-featured wearable electronics platform. It's a round, sewable, Arduino-compatible microcontroller designed to empower amazing wearables projects.

FLORA comes with Adafruit's support, tutorials and projects. Check out dozens of FLORA tutorials on the Adafruit Learning System, with more added every week by Becky Stern, director of wearable electronics, and our dedicated wearables staff.

So it's pretty much a Leonardo in different board format and only 8 IO pins. Any Arduino code can be used that uses (or can b rewritten to use) those 8 IO pins.

Arduino does not produce material specifically targeting the Flora because Arduino does not make the Flora; The Flora is an Adafruit product - it looks like it's very similar to the official Arduino Lilypad USB.

Programming any Arduino compatible AVR device is almost identical. The only differences between most Arduino boards is how much memory (Flash for storing your program, SRAM to store variables while it's running), and what extra functions you can do with which pins (if the chip is different, the pins that you can use with analogRead() and analogWrite() are different), and how many serials they have. But from a programming perspective (until you do exotic stuff) it's all the same - you can move code between Arduino boards just by changing the pin numbers.

The Arduino Lilypad USB, Micro, Flora, and Leonardo use the same chip, and programming any of them should be identical (Note that the Flora and Lilypad don't have all the pins broken out).

The wearable ones (flora, or official lilypads, etc) are a little different from the normal boards from the hardware side, since the pins go out to those big wide sewable pads, instead of normal pin headers, so resources for lilypad might be most useful for that angle.