programming to close garage door

Hi guys
Just purchased a few weeks ago so Im still new to this.
I have a Photocell connected to the arduino uno board and I have a switch on my garage door connected as well along with a few relays connected to the board. So I have a sketch that checks the photocell and if its dark and the switch on the garage door is on (garage door is open) then it will operate a relay for a second and close the garage door ( I tend to leave the door open alot at night). That works good only if I want to use the garage door at night then it will close shortly after it opens. Any ideas to get around this. I could only run the sketch once but then if I leave the door open it would not close.
Thanks Rick

1. A separate, wired toggle switch that you flip to "I'm in here" when you are. Program has to see no light and no "I'm in here" to close door.

2. PIR sensor that motion detects you puttering about. Program has to see no motion and no light to close door. Big, blinky inquiring red warning light indicates imminent closure and prompts periodic movement.

3. Microphone to detect sound of work happening. Program has to have no sound and no light to close door.

4. RTC module with bluetooth module sends message to your Android phone at 10:00pm and says "You left me up again, dammit!"

5. Photo cell is positioned next to garage work bench lamp. If lamp is on and work is occuring, photo cell is never dark.

6. Bluetooth signaler worn on belt. If you get out of range and Arduino reciever loses Bluetooth connection it closes door.

I dunno.

Just wire a simple toggle switch in series with the wires that are going from the arduino controlled relay to the garage switch, off (bypass mode) would prevent the arduino from commanding a close and on (automatic mode) would allow it to operate as normal.

Three way switch connected to the Arduino to select manual close, manual open and automatic modes.

hey thanks guys some good suggestions. I think that I'm going to use the photo sensor but put in next to the garage door light then that would give me at least 15 min unless I turn the garage lights on then it won't close until I turn them off. Great

Trickyrick: hey thanks guys some good suggestions. I think that I'm going to use the photo sensor but put in next to the garage door light then that would give me at least 15 min unless I turn the garage lights on then it won't close until I turn them off. Great

My home automation system at www.2wg.co.nz has garage door opening and closing functionality. I use two reed switches to detect if the door is open or closed and have the garage opening circuit wired into system. I can open the door remotely via the web site and locally when I am standing at the door with this URL on my iPhone. http://192.168.1.999/GarageOpen My WIFI lan is of course secure so this only works for my family and friends that I grant LAN access to and give the URL to.

You can tell whether my garage door is actually open or closed in real time on the security page of the web site.

I also have a buzzer connected in the garage - it beeps in one second intervals when the door is opening or closing.

The garage door functionality also has auto close after four minutes (15 second buzzer pre warning) OR it will send me push emails to my iPhone after 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 minutes etc to tell me the garage door has been left open.

My system can runs in an alarm mode - if the garage door is opened while the system is in alarm mode I get an immediate push email to my iPhone.

My garage door functionality was the first thing I did with my home automation system - with winter approaching I am now pushing into my home heating management functionality.

Regards

Catweazle NZ