Programming to create pulses using arduino

I'm working on a project for bioelectronics. So i need to generate actual electrical pulses. So i was wondering if someone could tell me how to generate pulses using arduino and how to deliver the pulses to buttons or needles.

Well,

digitalWrite(pin, HIGH);

starts a pulse and

digitalWrite(pin, LOW);

ends it.

If you want better advice than that, you need to tell us a lot more about your project. What are these buttons/needles, what duration, frequency, voltage and current these "actual" pulses need to be?

So the project is related to acupuncture. The plan is create pulses and pass it on to the different acupuncture regions of foot via a slipper/shoe. But I'm still not sure as to how to pass on the pulses to the sole. I was thinking of push buttons that could be inserted inside the sole of slippers an whenever its pushed down it creates pulses and passes on to the receiver's foot.

Pulse rate: frequency of 80-100 impulses per second
Duration: 100-1000 micro seconds

aparnamurali08:
Pulse rate: frequency of 80-100 impulses per second
Duration: 100-1000 micro seconds

Arduino can do that. Now, what about voltage & current?

I guess. Voltage supply 12V and current 200micro amp

12V? I don't think that will penetrate skin, will it?

I think hundreds or thousands of volts will be needed for that. A bit like those TENS machines, I assume. I must admit I don't know how to build a circuit that would deliver such voltages at safe, low currents. But if you had that circuit, you could get an Arduino to control the timing.

PaulRB:
12V? I don't think that will penetrate skin, will it?

I think hundreds or thousands of volts will be needed for that. A bit like those TENS machines, I assume. I must admit I don't know how to build a circuit that would deliver such voltages at safe, low currents. But if you had that circuit, you could get an Arduino to control the timing.

I am guessing, but perhaps connected to the acupuncture pins.

Paul

Since acupunture works with faith there is no reason why current must really flow.
Also piercing skin with needle reduces resistance greatly. Maybe low voltage is enough - 9V is enough to be felt when licking battery.

aparnamurali08:
So the project is related to acupuncture. The plan is create pulses and pass it on to the different acupuncture regions of foot via a slipper/shoe. But I'm still not sure as to how to pass on the pulses to the sole. I was thinking of push buttons that could be inserted inside the sole of slippers an whenever its pushed down it creates pulses and passes on to the receiver's foot.

@Paul: needles in a shoe? Oooowwww!