programming tools

I am confused about the programming tools. The Arduino uno displays a ############ string as it programs the device. If I use a ESP32, I get a series of dots and underlines … until the board programs or until I get an error.

A forum member showed me a display of what his ESP32 programer out was . His used a esptool.py v2.8 mine is esptool.py v2.6. Should I get and use the improvfed version? How do I get it.

And a final question. I want to add code to my p[ost. I think I saw that you delimit the code with a </>. Do you put this at the beginning and the end of the code? I tried it and did something wrong, I will try again here

</>
this is line 1
this is line 2
this is line 3
</>

I hope all this works.

The code delimiters actualy look like this [ code ][ / code ] without the space.

They will be inserted when you modify a post and you use the </> button. When you write a new post the buttons will appear when you click Preview.

What do you mean by the </>button? On my keyboard or an option to click with the mouse?
I see that the </> is viable on the original post but not on the reply.

I will try this…

this is line 1
this is line 2
this is line 3

Well there you go, it looks like it worked.

barryjo:
What do you mean by the </>button?

It’s a button on the forum web page that is available when you start a new thread or click the reply button (instead of using quick reply). You can also make it show up in the quick reply editor but I’m not quite sure how.

sterretje:
You can also make it show up in the quick reply editor but I'm not quite sure how.

It is always there in mine. I have "View Source" selected in my Profile

...R

barryjo:
A forum member showed me a display of what his ESP32 programer out was . His used a esptool.py v2.8 mine is esptool.py v2.6. Should I get and use the improvfed version? How do I get it.

They are probably using the beta version of the ESP8266 core. You should only use that version if you are doing development work or beta testing of the ESP32 core. The beta version is more likely to have bugs, so it's not appropriate for normal use.

barryjo:
How do I get it.

Follow the instructions for your operating system under the "Using Arduino IDE with the development repository" section of the installation instructions: