Programming with ISP Programmer not possible

Hi, I’ve done the things mentioned in:
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer

But wenn I try to upload something to my board using the programmer, i get an Java error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.getProgrammerCommands(Unknown Source)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(Unknown Source)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Unknown Source)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Unknown Source)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Unknown Source)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

To the boards.txt I’ve added this line:
sanguino.upload.using=stk500v2

To programmers.txt I’ve added/edited this:
avrispmkii.name=stk500v2
avrispmkii.communication=serial
avrispmkii.protocol=stk500v2

I don’t see anything wrong here acourding to the manual above…burning the bootloader with the programmer works just fine…

Instead of: sanguino.upload.using=stk500v2

Try: sanguino.upload.using=avrispmkii

Or: sanguino.upload.using=arduino:avrispmkii

ok, this worked I only needed to change the interface type to seriell :-D since my programmer is st500v2 compatibel but not USB

Great :-D

I too am having problems with AVR programmer.

java.lang.NullPointerException at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.getProgrammerCommands(Unknown Source) at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(Unknown Source) at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Unknown Source) at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Unknown Source) at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Unknown Source) at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

programmers.txt

avrispmkii.name=avrispmkii avrispmkii.communication=serial avrispmkii.protocol=stk500v2

preferences.txt upload.using=avrispmkii

Programmer = JTAGICE MKII ( brand new - just out of box)

Using COM 3 port

Have ATmega 328 selected as board (which matches chip on board)

Any thoughts about what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you change this...

preferences.txt
upload.using=avrispmkii

..back to...

preferences.txt
upload.using=bootloader

...does the error message change? Go away?

Yes, it does work. However, in this case, I am assuming it uses the USB port and boot loader. I have designed my own board and have the raw Atmel part on it. I am planning to use it for a real commercial product. Therefore, I need to figure out how to make it work without the bootloader. I would rather use the Arduino method instead of re-creating functionality within Atmel AVR environment.

I have no idea what effect preferences.txt / upload.using has. And, given what you've described, I suspect it doesn't work the way you're expecting. I suggest you create an entry in boards.txt for your commercial product and, if necessary, add an entry to programmers.txt for your JTAGICE MKII.

Have you tried using AVRDUDE from the command-line with your JTAGICE MKII?