programs fine ,but displays error in console

Hi All
I am programming a pro-mini using a serial uart (FTDI) board. I am using IDE 1.8.12
Everything loads and the code seems to work, but I get that dreaded message displayed in the console after uploading as shown below. I have tried: Checking and changing the jumper wires, moving the on-board voltage selector jumper on the FTDI board. (I'm sure my part is 5v). Most of the posts regarding this error suggested that the OP cannot program the device. I can program and all seems OK, but the message does bug me. Any suggestions welcome.

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega328P (5V, 16 MHz)"

Sketch uses 924 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

avrdude: stk500_paged_load(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xff
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync
avr_read(): error reading address 0x0000
read operation not supported for memory "flash"
avrdude: failed to read all of flash memory, rc=-2
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xff

Do you see this error message while you successfully upload the code ?

I - Yes, that's what is suprising

Try pressing the reset button while it shows uploading.

Do you mean press then release after the message 'uploading'
I tried that and the activity leds on the FTDI board stop flickering which means it has interrupted the programming.

Do you have any error code then ??

It seems that now and again it doesn't give the error, which (may) be related to if I release the reset at the right time just after the message 'uploading' and then it uploads.
If I don't get it right, any errors show just the same as in the first post.

That’s why I asked you to try pressing the reset button. This error occurs due to the inability of the ftdi to reset the pro mini but when you do it manually at the right time it just uploads correctly. So please check the connections properly and verify that the reset connection are working fine.

I tried a different set of cables - same. Checked them with an ohmeter - all fine.
It always uploads correctly regardless - it seems as though the error relates to verifying the uploaded code. It can't correctly verify, but obviously it has uploaded. I can't see any problems with the uploaded code.

Further: Is there not a local setting for programming baud rate that I can set - slower rate maybe?

Here is a similar problem like yours and there are many suggestions arduino - avrdude error - stk500_paged_write() protocol error - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange could please have some time looking this

I don’t think changing baud rate should help. Because baud rate is not the part of the problem

Thanks I saw that. Most of those problems seem to be can't program at all. But thanks for all your help.

I don't know if it helps, try reflashing the pro mini's bootloader it may help.

OK thanks again, Although I tried a few different pro-minis. Maybe they all need an upgraded bootloader.