Project advice please: 16 inputs, 16 outputs plus audio

I have been tasked with the following project for which I think an Arduino is a good solution.

Requirements:

1) 16 digital inputs, currently pulled HIGH.

2) 16 LED outputs.

3) Audio output.

When one of the 16 digital inputs is low, the corresponding LED should illuminate and a corresponding audio file, one of 16, should play. The duration is short, less than two seconds.

Towards that end:

I've purchased an Arduino UNO. I see it has less than 16 inputs and outputs. To accommodate the extra I/O, I've purchased (currently being shipped to me) a Centipede Shield, see http://macetech.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=23.

For the audio, I am thinking of buying the Adafruit Wave Shield, see https://www.adafruit.com/products/94

My Concern:

Can I use BOTH the Centipede Shield AND the Adafruit Wave Shield at the same time on the same Arduino UNO? I'm hoping that they can be addressed individually?

I have a good background as an electronics hardware technician so I can handle any "creative" approaches that might be required.

I have some background in code writing with C type languages. I've already powered up my Arduino and have had fun turning the onboard LED off and on.

My Questions:

Is my hardware approach OK? I do have a good budget and can afford to purchase whatever is necessary. I'd rather buy an item that makes my project life EZ than to spend time with hacks.

Can somebody point me to similar projects online that would give me some insight or maybe a starting point?

Thank you muchly!!

good background as an electronics hardware technician

Well, then you can read the pinout diagrams of the two shields you specify, and see if any pins are used in both. I had a quick look and it seems possible - but convince yourself, it is your money.

I've purchased an Arduino UNO. I see it has less than 16 inputs and outputs.

Wrong it has 20. Read the datasheet (don't just glance at it)

To accommodate the extra I/O, I've purchased (currently being shipped to me) a Centipede Shield,

Big time over kill! look in the playground for I/O expansion. Two shift registers will do the job.

It will also give you control of which pins are used.

Mark

Mark:

Thank you for the response.

I need a total of 32 inputs / outputs, 16 for the inputs and 16 for the LED outputs.

I thought of rolling my own with two shift registers, but it seems that the Centipede Shield would save me some hardware construction time, not true?? I will look in the playground and see what I/O expansion opportunities are there.

holmes4: Wrong it has 20. Read the datasheet (don't just glance at it)

Big time over kill! look in the playground for I/O expansion. Two shift registers will do the job.

It will also give you control of which pins are used.

Mark