Project Advice

Hi All,

First off, i am very new to arduino, have only ever looked at it, never used it, so please consider me the extreme noob!

I have an idea for a project, that consists of a web server which connects wirelessly to slave nodes.

The slave nodes are activated when pressure is released from a pressure pad, and send an alert to the web server which activates the stepper motors in all the slave nodes.

When the pressure is returned to the pad, the process is reversed and the motors stop.

I also want to have a webpage controlled from a windows pc that can activate the motors on the click of a button.

If possible any programming, on the master and slave units, i would like stored on a memory card, so as if the slave unit needs to be replaced quickly, the memory card can be swapped easily and the new unit continues working in place of the old one.

I know its possible to achieve, but i dont quite know how to get it together.

Thanks
Dan

That is a lot for a complete newb. By all means don't lose interest, but you have a long, steep learning curve ahead of you.

If possible any programming, on the master and slave units, i would like stored on a memory card, so as if the slave unit needs to be replaced quickly, the memory card can be swapped easily and the new unit continues working in place of the old one.

The Arduino can not execute code. It can only execute HEX files. There is information on the forum for loading a HEX file from an SD card when the Arduino is reset.

I've never tried it. Keeping a couple of spare nodes ready to replace a failed node seems far simpler.

You need to spend some time understanding what a web server can, and can not, do. For instance, a server can NOT push data to a client.

bajadan:

Arduinos have built in flash memory (same as a pen drive) so there will be no need for a memory card, if your program is small enough.

Henry_Best:
Arduinos have built in flash memory (same as a pen drive) so there will be no need for a memory card, if your program is small enough.

I think this is too detailed to think now in the beggining of the project, he has to learn first how to implement a web server and make it talk to an arduino. And then learn how to control stepper motors.

Its like thinking in the berry of the pie, without even knowing how to bake the pie.

mart256:
I think this is too detailed to think now in the beggining of the project, he has to learn first how to implement a web server and make it talk to an arduino. And then learn how to control stepper motors.

Its like thinking in the berry of the pie, without even knowing how to bake the pie.

Just trying to prevent him buying a load of card readers and cards when he probably won't need them.