Project Advice

Greetings all,
I would extremely appreciate it if someone can give advice on how to move forward with my project since I'm new to arduino but not programming fundamentals.
In short, imagine you have different objects with an unique bar code label on them, I need to scan them using a barcode scanner and using the information(integers) given by the bar code label, I need to send data to a specific app(there will be many apps on the network and i don't want all apps to get the same data but only special ones) through wifi or bluetooth. This person on the app would login with the same username as the integers given in the barcode label.

I need advice on the items needed and the coding.
I would appreciate it if someone gave step by step advice due to the fact that my knowledge about this is a bit less.
Thank you for your help!

shaamilol:
I need advice on the items needed and the coding.
I would appreciate it if someone gave step by step advice due to the fact that my knowledge about this is a bit less.

You are describing a complex project.

Break your learning down into small parts. For example get a barcode reader working and display the data on the Arduino Serial Monitor. In another exercise learn how to send a simple message (such as "Hello World") to whatever App you want to receive the data.

When you can do all the parts separately it will be time to think about an integrated program.

Separately, it seems to me your project might be easier to implement with a Raspberry PI. Your description does not mention anything that would require the capabilities of an Arduino.

...R

Thank you for your valuable advice.
there is 1 thing left,
all the online websites talk about sending data from the arduino to the app but there's nothing on sending to a separate app.
What do you suggest?
Thank you.

shaamilol:
all the online websites talk about sending data from the arduino to the app but there's nothing on sending to a separate app.

I don't think I properly understand what is in your mind.

My notion is that to send data to "the app" the Arduino needs to be able to identify "the app". If so, what is to stop it identifying a different app at a different time? If it knows how to identify one app then it can identify a hundred.

...R

If you are looking to implement web protocols and networking then you may have an easier time working with a more powerful board that runs using linux. This takes away a lot of the low-level networking knowledge required. You seem to have the system undefined at the moment. As stated by Robin, the first steps would be to setup a system which recognises your barcodes reliable. The data from these barcodes can then be processed and passed depending on your application. It may be easier to pass every barcode to a central system and then have that central system update your users. This would certainly be more web development style of work rather than Arduino.

Robin,
I wish to send a message to an app based on the data given by the bar code.
suppose there are 5 people and 5 boxes, each person is logged on the web and have logged in to the app.
I need to scan the object and the bar code on it would tell me which user to send a message to, now i need to send a message to that specific user and not the others.

Do your programming fundamentals cover everything but hooking up the scanner and reading it?
That's the easy part you could get a lot of quick help doing.

As for the rest, it is the kind of work that should be paid for if you don't want to take forever getting piecemeal answers that perhaps you fill in between.

Some members here actually do that kind of code for a living and others have done and know what a time sink it can be. Think what you ask please. This is also respecting your own work.

Dear GoForSmoke,
I am a student and I wish to learn these basics to become an expert in this field.
I don't wish to give money for this because I'm doing it for the joy of it.

So what parts do you know already? That is the important question. And next is what project grade equals joy?

Some people may already have code you can reuse for this, if/when they show up you may get lucky.

And for the barcode reader, we can even help you make a simple DIY barcode reader using an IR led and IR detector.

currently not much, I want to find a source to learn such things but it isn't available on youtube....

shaamilol:
I need to scan the object and the bar code on it would tell me which user to send a message to, now i need to send a message to that specific user and not the others.

I think you should spend some time learning how web applications work, especially the role of servers and clients. In general you don't "send" messages, you make them available to be collected.

IMHO it will be much easier to learn this on your PC rather then with an Arduino as there are hundreds or thousands of online tutorials about web programming for PCs. When you know how to do it on your PC then it should be straightforward to apply the same techniques on your Arduino - or maybe a RaspberryPi would be more suitable.

...R

Hi,
so I learnt to accept values from a scanner and how to send information to a webpage(I decided to change from app to a website)
but I want to know how to design my webpage because my arduino gives me an ip address and I can only display on the website(I want to accept integers and accordingly)

Ok, it sounds like you have made a lot of progress on this project. But you haven't given us any details which allow us to help you.

You have an Arduino? Which one? How is it connected to the internet? Is it visible through your firewall? Do you want it to be?

You have some code which works. Show us this code. What do you want it to do different?

Did you get the barcode scanner working? Which one? Do you need help with that part?

You want to learn but you want it served to you on a silver platter. Start small. If you're interested in microcontrollers and small devices like the barcode scanner then start there. If you're interested in web sites and apps then start their. Sometimes the easiest way to get answers is to simply "do". Then you'll have straight questions about a very small part of your project that others can answer.

Buy an arduino, find a barcode scanner and see if you can make it work.
Then add ethernet to your arduino
Then look how to set up a website either online or on a local network or on the arduino its self.

If you manage all 3 of these then you'll have learned how to ask questions and problem solve for yourself.

Until then you will only get vague answers and end up frustrating yourself and everyone else. There is never just "one" answer to your questions.

Hi,
I'm sorry to cause frustration to all of you,
Can you all please tell me where to start learning how to read inputs from a bar code scanner, then to put it on a webpage.
I do not have the ready made code anywhere so can anyone please send me a link of a course or something I can learn from the basics till the end.
Thank you so much.

shaamilol:
Can you all please tell me where to start learning how to read inputs from a bar code scanner

What happens when you Google Arduino barcode scanner

Google is the first tool in a programmer’s toolkit

…R

Please stop trying to give vague answers, I have tried google and youtube and that’s why I’m asking you.
Maybe I overlooked something and that’s the reason for asking you

Google found something for you. Why not show us what you found so far and explain why that is no good for you?

Even something like "I found this YouTube video and it looks perfect but I have no idea where to buy the device." is good for us to help you.