project discussion

Hi,
I am in the planning stages of a LoRa project to read soil moisture and basic environmental variables on a farm.
From what I understand, I can only use one sensor device with the 1-channel gateway (?).
But would I then also be able to use multiple sensors with the 1-channel gateway if I used Real-Time Clocks (RTC) on the multiple sensors transmit boards each sending at different times, to ensure there were no transmission collisions?
Or would something else be a better option?
Thanks.

Suggest you move this to the Project Guidance forum section. Click "report to moderator" to request the move.

You can use a single-channel gateway, if you restrict all your nodes and gateway to a single channel. I doubt you need rtc, some less accurate method like watchdog timer may be good enough. The chances of collisions will be low as long as the transmissions are short and the periods are long and the number of nodes is low. For example if the transmissions take 50ms, each node transmits once roughly every hour and you have 100 nodes, the chances of collisions are tiny (but never zero, of course, that can never be guaranteed even with a multi-channel gateway).

If your using TTN then the so called 'one channel Gateways' are not supported as they do disrupt operartions of those that are using compliant 8 channel gateways.

If this is point to point LoRa then just let the nodes transmit at random, there will be some collisions, but unlikley to be a serious issue.

using RTCs and keeping them synced would just not be worth the effort and complexity.

srnet:
If your using TTN then the so called 'one channel Gateways' are not supported as they do disrupt operartions of those that are using compliant 8 channel gateways.

If this is point to point LoRa then just let the nodes transmit at random, there will be some collisions, but unlikley to be a serious issue.

using RTCs and keeping them synced would just not be worth the effort and complexity.

thanks for guidance, your support helped me to get out of trap :slight_smile: