Project Help

I'm planning to do a project that enables flash drive communication using arduino Uno..... can i succeed

No

What is "flash drive communication" ?

...R

pranavtprakash: I'm planning to do a project that enables flash drive communication using arduino Uno..... can i succeed

My crystal ball suggests that if you are unable to give the basics of your project in your question, you will not be able to do the project.

Weedpharma

If you mean Flash Hard drive, so first you need to check the Interface (number of pins) and the Speed that the flash can work, if it can work in low speeds also (not sure that it can, may be the lowest speed is too high for the UNO), so first you need to READ all relevant DATASHEETS. Why don't you use SD-CARD as memory? (if memory is what you need) Thanks, R

By flash drive communication i mean usb to usb data transfer using arduino uno and usb host shields

pranavtprakash:
By flash drive communication i mean usb to usb data transfer using arduino uno and usb host shields

An Arduino would be much too slow. Try a Raspberry PI or a PC.

…R

pranavtprakash: By flash drive communication I mean USB to USB data transfer using Arduino UNO and USB host shields

Ah yes, always the XY problem.

Paul__B: Ah yes, always the XY problem.

so u mean i can do the project>???

pranavtprakash:

You’ve still given a terrible description of what you want to do, but it’s enough to say that a typical Arduino would probably not be appropriate - arduino is not appropriate for shuffling large amounts of data like that.

Consider that an arduino uno has 32k of program memory, and only 2k of sram to use as a buffer, not to mention the fact that the data will be getting squeezed through multiple different physical interfaces (SPI to the host shield, probably serial into the other side of the arduino) with accompanying bottlenecks. Meanwhile, USB flash drives are on the scale of gigabytes. There’s a mismatch between the complexity of these things. This sounds like the kind of task that is appropriate for a raspberry pi, or personal computer - or maybe an appropriate ARM based microcontroller board.

I'm planning to do a project that enables flash drive communication using arduino Uno..... can i succeed

No

I’m planning to do a project that enables flash drive communication using arduino Uno… can i succeed

No

Obviously there is a reason for this response. At this point I would be asking what I have overlooked by asking if this is possible.

By flash drive communication I mean USB to USB data transfer using Arduino UNO and USB host shields

What does this have to do with Flash drives ?
What (exactly) do you mean by USB ?
Do you mean Arduino USB HOST-1 <===[DATA]===> Arduino USB HOST2 ?

You should read DrAzzy’s reply again.

So - what I said.

pranavtprakash: so u mean i can do the project>???

I mean you have not told us what you actually wish to do.

You have given a garbled description of something you imagine might do whatever it is you actually want to do, thus the "XY problem".

If you could just tell us what you really want to do, we can suggest what sort of off-the shelf hardware (clearly not an Arduino) would best do it.

Generally, we used to transfer data between two pen drives by using laptops or desktops. But it is not always possible to carry such a large size device to the particular location. So to overcome this problem, we are designing a hardware which is more compact to carry anywhere... this is what i actually mean

So to overcome this problem, we are designing a hardware which is more compact to carry anywhere.

Really ? Do you have any idea what the requirements are to build a Proof Of Concept device ?
Have you asked yourself how the laptop performs this operation ?
Does your arduino have a hard-drive too ?
How do you suppose an arduino is going to read and copy a 2 Gb thumbdrive ? (using 1k of EEPROM)

Please enlighten us as to how you envision this operation taking place . Walk us through it step by step. I can’t wait.

I submit you should change your post title to:

“Arduino Based Portable Thumb Drive Reader”.
( which still does not encompass the USB Data tranceiver functionality).

I still don’t see the point unless you are trying to redefine the Arduino Architecture . I think you will continue to spin your wheels on the forum until you post a detailed DESIGN CRITERIA that lists all functionality in detail, including memory size limitations Are you going to read 64 Gb thumb drives ?

You read this comment, so why have you not done this ?

Obviously there is a reason for this response. At this point I would be asking what I have overlooked by asking if this is possible.

This is a project more fit for an RPi - in fact, I'm pretty sure it's trivial on an RPi....

Maybe when the TRE comes out...

Arduino usb hostshield support hdd, android adk etc.... also using serial commands and soft programming arduino can support two usb serial ports at the same time and can be used to interface two usb hostshield then why do you reiterate that this project cant be done using arduino..????? .

Why did you ask if it could be done and why did you not ask why it could not be done ?

If you think it can be done then why are you posting on the forum asking if you can succeed doing it ?

raschemmel: Why did you ask if it could be done and why did you not ask why it could not be done ?

i didnt tried any arduino projects yet... this is the first one and i have only descriptions of hardware..... thats y i go for help and advise of experienced peoples...