Project idea feedback

Ok thinking of building a led light bar for my 4x4. I would like to have the capability of full or partial lights so I was thinking of using an Arduino as a relay controller - the relays themselves will control the power to the lights.

I would like to be able to use a touch screen to select the lights.

I would also like to be able to have the same device provide feedback on the vehicular systems

Lights, batteries etc.

Possible?

Yes, it’s possible.

Now go and find a good touchscreen you want to use. For USA people, the one at Radio Shack is pretty good to get started with.

MartinSigsworth: Ok thinking of building a led light bar for my 4x4. I would like to have the capability of full or partial lights so I was thinking of using an Arduino as a relay controller - the relays themselves will control the power to the lights.

I would like to be able to use a touch screen to select the lights.

Adafruit sells a touch screen that works with Arduino, you might want to consider that. Although, touch screen control seems overkill to me.

MartinSigsworth: I would also like to be able to have the same device provide feedback on the vehicular systems

You'll need to add more detail than that. Where do you expect to get this information from? How much wire splicing are you willing to do? How much is available over your vehicle's OBD?

The vehicle will be being rebuilt so running wires etc will not be an issue was thinking of non contact current pickup or a piggybacked wire to an input on the device? to be determined.

The OBD I'm not sure. but again I can investigate the vehicle will be rebuilt as I said...

Touch screen will be used for other things like a nice on the back saying stuff like

"Polite Notice Back off" "Polite Notice put your F*****G lights on"

^^^^ Maybe not^^^^

MartinSigsworth: "Polite Notice Back off" "Polite Notice put your F*****G lights on"

Make sure the font is absolutely clear, otherwise you could face charges of "impersonating a polite officer" :)

Might drop the polite notice I wonder what the Ontario police would think

Also not sure what arduino boards and acessories to use / will be needed

suggestions

Have you checked with the police to find out if it’s legal to have an illuminated sign facing the rear of the
vehicle ? There may be some vehicle code prohibiting distractions.

Vehicle Code

VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 25350-25354
Any commercial vehicle, other than a passenger common carrier motor
vehicle, may be equipped with an illuminated identification sign upon the front thereof which shall not exceed 24 inches in length or 8 inches in width and which emits diffused white light without glare.

(this may apply to signs facing the rear as well. The code pertaining to illuminated signs seems to be quite
specific and I doubt they overlooked anything)

I see vehicles will registration plate covers that every time the stop advertise a company. I will check with police but mine would be safely pass vehicle then show the lights on sign for maybe 30 seconds then off and continue driving and having no lights on is a danger to all road users.

I would however check with police before implementing

you could have a sensor so that if a vehicle behind you was too close the lights would go on. use ground speed as a sensor so that at a stop light, they could be close, but at high way speeds it would expect more distance. couple that with a sensor inside of actual distance and you could have a parking sensor.

not sure if i would be legal, but you could output a signal that would set off a radar detector. I know that some businesses us ones that set of as you drive past.

I would offer that one of those running letter signs could be set up like 'distance means safety, please increase our safety'

The regulations pertaining to commercial vehicles seem more lenient than with private passenger vehicles. The former category probably allows what you described and the latter probably doesn't.