Project Idea for Balancer

Hey Everyone. New to the Arduino world :slight_smile: I would like to make a balancing system for small wheels or domes.

What I would like to happen is this.

1. I make the part out of fiberglass
  2. I need to be able to attach it to a shaft
  3. Run a program to tell me where it is out of balance and how much weight(s) I need to install
  4. I can then install balance weights in proper location
  5. Re-Run test to confirm item is balanced.

Can this be done?

Any suggestions and help please? Kind of like a tire balance machine but on a smaller scale.

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice :slight_smile:

Dezi

Hi,
Do you want to dynamically or statically balance the wheel/domes?
How big are they? ( diameter and width)
Tom.... :slight_smile:

Following on form the last comment (written while I was typing this) . . .

I think that first of all, you have to explain the mathematical basis of this, which is anyway probably the exercise you have been given and has may be something todo with oscillation and moment of inertial.

Have a look here and decide how you are going to do it: Balancing machine - Wikipedia

Then you can start thinking about how to implement it.

I build fiberglass spinners for small aircraft. Right now I do this all manually with a shaft and weight on a set of discs. I spin the spinner and see where it is off balance. Add some magnetic weights until I get it balanced. Then I add the weight and use a bondo/fiberglass mixture and place it on the spot on the back plate.

I want to eliminate the manual part of trying to guess how much weight is needed and where and have the machine do it for me. Then I can add the proper weight in the right spot.

The spinners are from 9-12" in dia.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Dezi

I spin the spinner and see where it is off balance.

The trick will be to explain to a computer how you do that, and how to estimate the correction needed.

Spinning the disk means you are using your experience and intuition to guess how much and where the disk is out of balance. Automating the result of doing it that way will not be trivial. However, using a pivoting balance may be much easier.

Essentially you will put a fulcrum in the center of the disk, so that the disk can tilt in any direction. The heavy side will go down. The direction that goes up is light and should get the weight. A series of switches, or even broken light beams could inform an Arduino which part of the disk is light. Take several measurements and rotate the disk by a few degrees between measurements to arrive at an average point to place the counterweight.

Hi,

I used to service electronic car wheel balancers, and they used some simple physics to balance in two planes.
You are balancing in one plane (pun intended) which is even easier.

The high speed and small magnitude of the mass you need to balance, will be your problem doing it electronically.
What speed do you want to do the test at and what are the typical masses that you balance with.

With car wheels, the masses needed and rotational speed make the process quite easy.
Back in the 50s and 60,s you could get a purely mechanical dynamic wheel balance (no electrics/electronics), then they were all analog electrics, then sequential logic, then Z80, 8085 based.

Tom.... :slight_smile: