Project Idea Help -- Radio Frequency Coffee Pot

Hello all!

I am a little bit new when it comes to Arduino, so I don't know all that's out there when it comes to possibilities. I have a project idea, and I want to know if it's even possible, and how I should go about it.

I am in the HAM radio club at my school. What I want is to be able to turn on a coffee pot from afar with radio frequencies. So if I'm sitting in my dorm, I want to be able to send a certain combo of frequencies to the Arduino, which will then turn on the coffee pot with a relay.

I have no idea what materials I would need to go about doing something like this, so if anybody has any suggestions or guidance, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Rachel

What sort of range do you need?

Edit: For short-range, perhaps something like these:- Wireless Remote Control Kits

I want to be able to do it possibly up to several miles. I suppose that would require a wifi shield?

rachelmccartney: I want to be able to do it possibly up to several miles. I suppose that would require a wifi shield?

Wow. For that sort of range, internet via a Wi-Fi shield or ethernet shield. Pretty expensive and complicated way to turn on a coffee pot. Is a timer beyond the realms of possibility?

long range xbee www.digi.com

CrossRoads: long range xbee www.digi.com

They don't look bad, and the outdoor/line-of-sight range looks good: "Outdoor/Line-Of-Sight Range Up to 9 mi (14 km) w/ dipole antenna" and "Up to 28 mi (45 km) w/ high-gain antenna".

But in an urban or indoor setting, the range is quoted as: "Indoor/Urban Range Up to 2000 ft (610 m)"

From this page:- http://www.digi.com/products/xbee-rf-solutions/modules/xbee-pro-xsc#specifications

You can go with gsm module which will turn on or off your coffee machine by sending a sms and range will be no issue.

Why not use your ham radio?

Use DTMF tones. These are the tones as used by telephones. There are readily available encoders and decoders at cheap prices.

Use the Arduino to detect the correct set of tones and turn on the relay.

Weedpharma

weedpharma: Why not use your ham radio?

Use DTMF tones. These are the tones as used by telephones. There are readily available encoders and decoders at cheap prices.

Use the Arduino to detect the correct set of tones and turn on the relay.

Weedpharma

Yes! This is what I'm wanting to do. I just don't know exactly what I would need to do such a thing.

Do a search in the box above for DTMF. This will give Arduino specific info.

Also search google for more info.

Weedpharma

There's also the option of using a microcontroller as a modem for the radio.

Here's a Bell 202 modem project using an ATmega328p.

Here's another microcontroller based Bell 202 modem project. It's not an Arduino microcontroller but the link as a lot of good technical information about how a modem works.

BTW, I have a set of 900MHz XBees which are supposed to have a range of 14 miles (or something like that). The range is much less in an urban environment. I left one XBee in our house and walked down our street with the other XBee. As long as I stayed out in the street, I could walk about a block away and still maintain a pretty good connection between the two XBees. Once I turned the corner placing about ten houses between the radios, the signal was lost.