Project indoor garden

Hello everybody,

I’m new to Arduino and coding but like playing around with it. Me and my son (10) are growing plants inside and wanted to automate the watering and light wen it’s dark. At the supermarket here in Holland you get seeds to grow your own tomatoes and other things to get the kids involved with nature. Got the circuit sorted out via circuito.io but have no clue about the code. can anyone help me with the code? this is the link to the project: circuito.io

Kind regards,

Michel

there are zillions examples on line, here are a couple, the sky is the limit in terms of what you can aim to achieve

Thanks for the reply Jackson,

already saw those examples but I didn’t find the one that fits our project, looking for a couple of weeks now. As mentioned I’m learning something new but no coding skills jet.

how did you come up with this if you have no idea about coding?

Circuito makes it very easy, try it. As I said, I’m new to this.

what are the MOSFET for? what are the diodes for? how did you decide the resistor value?

I didn’t, I dragged the Arduino, the sensors, the neopixel and the solenoids and the rest is done by circuito.

what are the MOSFET for? what are the diodes for? how did you decide the resistor value?

I’m yet to actually complete an arduino project, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But I’ve also done a fair bit of research and am in the middle of an electrical engineering degree so I have some suggestions for what the parts may be for and how to choose them.

A lot of projects draw more power, or use higher voltages, than one can safely route through an arduino board. Put another way, there are plenty of times when you don’t want to connect your power supply, board, and devices in series. What I’ve done in my project is to wire the power supply and microcontroller in parallel, and run data lines from my board to my devices. However, it’s possible to control higher current/voltage devices by using MOSFET relays. This instructables page might explain things more.

Lots of components are also sensitive to high voltage. Exposing them to voltages above their rating can damage or destroy them, so they’re often put behind resistors to protect them. My guess is that the resistor values are chosen such that, during normal operation, the resistor will drop the voltage and keep the sensitive components safe. I’m not sure how one would calculate that by hand, though.

The question was a rhetorical one…

Hello Jackson,

Thanks for the helpful comments, I’m being sarcastic

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.