Project next step

Hello, this is my first post in this forum so hello.

Im in the middle of a project and Im a programmer so that side of things wasnt a problem when i got into arduinos which helped alot. My project consists of two arduinos, the client which sends data from a LDR, Thermosistor, Humidity and clock to another host arduino connected to the pc via xbee. I have the client all working on the breadboard and doing what its supposed to but id like to make that side of things more permanent and take everything off the breadboard so i can concentrate on the other parts but im reading i need another arduino or similar, do you have any suggestions? Ive done some google searches on the subject but there is alot of information and Im having trouble disecting it all. What id really like is the whole system on the one board with connectors for the sensors, i can get a box fabricated easily to put the system into it.

Welcome to the forum,
I am not sure why you need two arduinos for this, one should be enough to gather and drive the Xbee.
Then you can get the receiving Xbee to talk directly to the PC. The Xbee puts out serial data at TTL levels so all you need is a USB to TTL serial lead on your PC, or a USB to RS232 lead and a TTL to RS232 converter between it an the Xbee. A TTL to RS232 is just one chip and a few capacitors.

I need two as the client is the data acquisition device and is designed to run standalone in a remote location sending data to the host arduino connected to the pc, im wanting something more permanent and I have read that the arduino pro might be something i could look at and some sort of shield where i can wire all my resistors and sensors onto, pretty much creating a robust prototype that can be tested in the real world without having to drag breadboards about which is fine for getting your projects up and running, Im not really clued up on arduinos so thats why i posted here because im not sure what to go for or if its compatible with xbee or what.

Again, this...

Grumpy_Mike: Welcome to the forum, I am not sure why you need two arduinos for this, one should be enough to gather and drive the Xbee. Then you can get the receiving Xbee to talk directly to the PC. The Xbee puts out serial data at TTL levels so all you need is a USB to TTL serial lead on your PC, or a USB to RS232 lead and a TTL to RS232 converter between it an the Xbee. A TTL to RS232 is just one chip and a few capacitors.

is still true.

What's the point in having a "server" arduino receiving data and sending straight out to the PC? Why not cut the middle man and connect the XBee directly to the PC? Cheaper and less work for you to do. Unless of course, the server arduino is intended to store data and only download to the PC once in a while.

without having to drag breadboards about

I would advise against using breadboard altogether. They are very fragile and unreliable. Make you circuits on strip board properly soldered together. Or better still don't have an arduino board as such but make a stand alone system. Have a look at some projects here:- http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Arduino_Sheld.html

Yeah its easier to just xbee to PC i guess, not everyone leaves their PC on all day, plus Im thinking about expandibility, if I can make the "break out" wireless box standalone, it allows me to play with the second arduino and add other things to the project later on knowing i have a stable data aquisition box in place. Im just going to get a shield that allows me to solder the wires, resistors and pins in. Once thats out the road I can get on with my GUI which is going to be 90% of my project. thanks for the help.