I am sure many of your know this, but project No 5 (mood cue) does not work the way the manual / diagram says it should. This took the wind out of the sails of some students because they could not get it to work and pointed out that they were EXACTLY like the book.
I am fairly new to this so maybe this is why it took so long to get it figured out. I have tried it at home for a couple of hours (not kidding) and finally got it to work. I am assuming the same errors on the LCD one because it also uses a potentiometer.
For me to get this to work:
1) the potentiometer has to be on the other side of the dividing line of the breadboard - and because it is so large, it has to be connected directly to the wires (The "pot" does not sit well or securely to the breadboard because of this) AND I had to bridge the gap on the middle divider line with some extra wires.
2) The wires from the servo are not in the correct order to go into the breadboard. I used wires instead of the attachment piece (black piece with three lines of metal sticking out) to ensure the black,white and red went where they were supposed to go.
Diagram #2 (match up the wire from the green, yellow and red to diagram #1 c26, c27, c28)
There really should be an update to the booklet to reflect the issues. So far I found two, maybe there are more. For students using this, getting it to work is imperative in my opinion. Having the frustration will turn them off future use of these devices and learning. Just my opinion.