So, After having been inspired by a number of magical wands with led-lights embedded in the tip, and of course by the somewhat magical ‘Kymera gesture IR wand’, I wondered why no-one have taken the next few steps and created a truly magical wand.
The Basic Specs, in order of importance
Battery Powered: LiPo?
- Rechargable by USB
- User exchangeable
- Both in combination
- The most limiting factor
- Handle of wand, no bigger than ~25mm in diameter, and ~100mm in length
- The bigger the better
- The ability to store multiple commands & gestures, as well as their linked reaction
Comment: For batteries, we would need something that could endure regular usage for ~10 hours before charge, or possibly less if batteries are quickly exchanged. As a basic board, I have considered the ‘Arduino Micro’, ‘Arduino (Pro) Mini’, ‘Arduino Nano’ or the ‘Lillypad Arduino Simplesnap’. The first three would fit into the handle as a pen into a cap, where as the Lillypad would be attached to the bottom of the handle, probably in connection with the lid.
The Action Features, in order of importance
Button Activated ← Not really wanted at all!
- This is the standard in most simple LED wands today (all of whom are board-less, except the Kymera)
- Not really something that we would want, but probably the simplest way to success
- Would heavily limit the possible features, as one cannot have buttons all over the wand’s handle.
Voice Commands* Questionable?
- Different voice commands producing different reactions (light, sound, vibration, communication)
Gestures* Doable! (muti-axis accelerometers (10DOF))
- Different wand movements producing different reactions (light, sound, vibration, communication)
*= These two would ultimately work best together, requiring the combination of both voice command and gesture to produce result. This is also probably the hardest part of the whole project, especially as voices tend to differ between individuals…
The Reaction Features, in order of importance
Light ← The main, and most important feature - non-excludable
- 5mm LED (as it needs to fit into the tip of the wand)
- RGB, UV, or ultimately both (if possible, either by a single diode, or by tweaking)
- On/Off (both semi-permanent and timed)
- Dim-able based on different actions
- Different colours based on different actions
- As a way of signifying that the action performed (i.e. ‘spell’) failed (i.e. not recognised)
Speaker Primarily for sound effetcs possibly to magnify users voice in conjunction with a ‘sonorous’ spell (Basically, a megaphone function)
- Magical ability to dim lights, play with the stereo, basically interacting with all things interactionable
- This is a huge extra feature, that is somewhat less important than the rest though…
- WiFi (1st option)
- Bluetooth (2nd option)
Budget (per wand)
- ~ $200 US
- But of course as little as practically possible, as the main goal is for this to be a somewhat affordable wand for the geeks and geekettes out there!
- MAX €500 US
- Preferably lower…
Basically, Within the listed budget and size/durability requirements, would this at all be possible?