project plans

I plan to build a working model of a satalite which will be able to transmit messages and also have sensors to detect things and then relay all data back to view on a screen. Im new to arduino but i do know electronics at a good hobby level so i got the cicuit part covered.my basic plan is to do it in stages as im new to arduino i.e. 1 stage is to tansmit and recive messages and txts 2 stage is to get to learn to use sensors and so on please could you tell me if im going about this in the right way all help is welcome thanks

Sure, why not? Come back and post some details once you have attempted at least stage 1. In order to give any advice about this, you would have to supply a lot more detailed requirements… for example the communications range (but also a lot more).

Everybody should build up in small stages :wink:

E.g.
Your first stage: get communication going.
Your second stage: get a sensor going (and use elementary communication to check).
Your third stage: combine the two.
Back to stage 2 for the next sensor till your project is complete :wink:

Read the tutorial on planning a program in the stickies.

thanks for replying to let me know im going about this the right way. Ive looked at loads of examples and tutorals on each stage that i"ll need the only thing i can see whats going to take most of the time is putting all the code together so that means more reseach on the internet thanks

You have not said how you propose to transmit messages, what they will be sent to or over what distance.

...R
Planning and Implementing a Program

i plan to use radio and by mobile also wifi to transmit to another setup which i will be able to see results i also plan to fit a camara to receive vidieo and photos. at the moment im only planning it out i have most electronic components.just need to get a few more things.

It'd be way easier if you reversed the steps.

1. Get comfortable with sensors, on one Arduino or whatever is in the satellite. Use the serial monitor to see and develop your data content and format. Work out all timing and other resources issues.

2. Learn how to toss simple messages like "hello world" or "3.141592653589793" back and forth w/ whatever radio set you pick and whatever your base station consists in. There are radio options with trades off, you can get advice here. Cheap easily available NRF24L01s are popular, as are 433 MHz Tx/Rx sets.

3. Combine steps 1 and 2.

If you get a new sensor type, start on step 1 with it rather than just throwing it into the mix.

Always keep in mind that you might be combining many little programs. Research the process people go through combining programs at the setup/loop level and learn how to prevent that from becoming a nightmare.

2.5 Perhaps work on the UI with jthe radios but fake data to get everything looking good and doing what you want or close to it. You might have also done step 1 basic (get it working and understood) on some whizzy displays and knobs and switches, e.g.

To generalize, understand each piece of hardware fully, on its own, before integrating it into the larger project.

Perhaps it is less instantaneous gratification but you will have a shorter calendar time to completion.

a7

chrislittler1234:
i plan to use radio and by mobile also wifi to transmit to another setup which i will be able to see results

I'm afraid you will need to be a lot more specific if you are ever going to achieve a working project. Exactly what do you mean by "radio" and by "mobile"? "Radio" is wireless transmission and so is WiFi. It would be unusual to have several wireless transmitters in a project that is just a model of something.

i also plan to fit a camara to receive vidieo and photos. at the moment im only planning it out i have most electronic components.just need to get a few more things.

Cameras don't receive images (unless you are referring to the light coming through the lens). And regular Arduinos such as an Uno or Mega are totally unsuitable for video or even decent quality still images. They don't have the necessary memory or speed.

When I try to view your loosely described requirement in its entirety it makes me wonder if a RaspberryPi would be more suitable than an Arduino. Which is why a clear and detailed description of the requirements is essential before you consider the hardware that should be used.

...R