Project: Siri-Arduino Universal Remote Control

Hi guys. I've searched through the forums but haven't seen anything that's related to my exact issue. I'll get to the point. I'm an Arduino and electronics n00b, but a mechanical engineering student.

I'm attempting to use the irremote library to create a universal remote control that will eventually be controlled by Siri on the iPhone, or as an alternative, through a web interface.

I had everything setup according to this image at Ken Sherriff's explanation as shown:![](http://arcfn.com/images/arduino-ir.jpg/img]

Receiving ir codes went fine, but while trying to send them, it didn't work. So I'm thinking either I fried my radio shack ir led, or it was bad to begin with. When I connected up a regular green led, I could see it flash as expected, but when I inserted the ir led and held it in from of my iphone's camera, there was no illumination. I tested my harmony universal remote in front of the camera and saw the leds illuminating. So this means that the radio shack ir led was either broken, or I broke it.

Here's my attempt at describing the circuit concerning the 276-0143 LED:

I had 5V (pin 3) going to a 100 ohm resistor to the LED then to ground. Once again, I don't think I blew it because my green LED works fine and I tried the ir led in both possible orientations.

I just want to make sure that I didn't screw anything up before attempting to get a new LED from Radio Shack.

Thanks to all that reads this,

Pat )

Hi,

I would suggest you to connect a bigger resistor first, like 220 Ohm will be seafier for you IR Diode. Try to make the circuit again, connecting the IR sensor with any LED, with a restistor fom 5V to GND, and try to use any IR signal on it, even your TV controller would work.

http://learn.adafruit.com/system/assets/assets/000/000/550/medium800/irremotetest.gif?1340899916

Try this with the 5V Arduino instead of batteries. If the LED does not make any light, the the IR sensor is broken.

Tell me how's going later!

Thank you for your reply.

I didn't use any batteries, everything I mentioned in the original post was powered by USB directly connected to the arduino.

Right,

as I explained just try thath connecting as in the image but with Arduindo instead Batteries. And if the LED brights...ok...If not, throw your IR sensor..

I'll wait for your result :grin:

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Hi,

You wrote

when I inserted the ir led and held it in from of my iphone's camera, there was no illumination. I tested my harmony universal remote in front of the camera and saw the leds illuminating.

That means your ir LED may not work, but your ir Sensor Does, right? OK, to be sure of that just connect the ir LED as usual with Arduino, and turn it on. Then use a tester from the cathode to the anhode of the LED measuring voltage or current. If you see that the correct amount is flowing trough, it's working, if not it means that might be burned or brokn. Anyway, they do not worth so much so, just buy a new one and try your circuit again. Maybe with a bigger resistor as i told you before.

In this page you may find a help to build a good circuit : http://learn.adafruit.com/ir-sensor/overview There are more tutorials and items you may find useful. Test again both the ir Sensor and the ir LED to see wich is working and wich is not. As you can turn the LED on with your controller, so the Sensor is working.

Clear now? XD XD Ask again if you need something

I do not wish to add to the consternation here, but most IR leds I have worked with require a lot of juice (I believe ladyada mentions the 1-1.5 amps as the top-end). Of course, I tried the 330,110,47,10 ohm resistors and it does not allow enough light. Straight to the d-pin (I know, super bad…) I got enough light to trip a sensor at 2 feet.

IR LEDs need a lot of juice, so a MOSFET like a 2N7000 or something will be needed to drive the IR Light(9-12V seems to be the best).

number1: Once again, I don't think I blew it because my green LED works fine and I tried the ir led in both possible orientations.

An LED is a diode (hence the name) and MUST be connected the correct way round. If connected in reverse, you might well have blown it.

You need to know the current and voltage required by the LED (and of course, you need to have identified which way round it needs to be connected) in order to know whether it can be driven directly from the Arduino and if so what rate of current limiting resister it needs. The fact that one LED works OK with a particular setup doesn't mean you can simply swap in a different LED and expect it to work.

An LED is a diode (hence the name) and MUST be connected the correct way round. If connected in reverse, you might well have blown it.

As Peter says, the LED has 2 pins. One short and one longer. The shorter one is the cathode, so it goes to GND. The longer one goes to the Vcc. If you connected it in reverse the current flow may had damaged it. Also try to give him more "juice" as spcomputing said

R LEDs need a lot of juice, so a MOSFET like a 2N7000 or something will be needed to drive the IR Light(9-12V seems to be the best).

If still not working, you borke it. :|

If you have a multimeter with a diode measurement setting you can check, or hook it up to a blink sketch and use your iPhone as a IR video device. The LED will light up a bluish white in the center of the LED if you try to take it's picture ;)

If not, it is still backwards or "borked".

Hey guys. I have an update. It turns out that everything was correct and my led was fine, it was just very dim and hard to see under the camera. With the 100 ohm resistor in place, I can successfully send codes from about 4-5 feet away. My next challenge is getting the rc6 codes to work for my equipment. For the 4-5 feet distance, rc6 codes aren't working, but I am abe to control my Sony av receiver just fine. I'll post more when I do some more work on it.

I also want to thank everybody for their help thus far. Thank you!