Promini238-AD8232 and Raspberry Pi

New to this game!
Using the I2C - learn.sparkfun.com ... -guide/all page, but can't find any reference to using raspberry pi computer for display, or how to run the arduino sketches. Tried installing arduino, but get a java exec. error just trying to run the IDE.
What does the raspberry need to 1) understand the sketches (C++?); 2) to hook up to the ad8232/promini238 setup; for example, can I power the boards with the raspberry 3.3v output, or do I use the usb cable from the FTDI to the usb Raspberry input? will that enable both powering the boards and displaying the board output?
Thanks!

Stefanolof:
Tried installing arduino, but get a java exec. error just trying to run the IDE.

How did you install arduino?

Please post the full and exact error message you get.

Stefanolof:
or do I use the usb cable from the FTDI to the usb Raspberry input?

Yes.

Stefanolof:
will that enable both powering the boards and displaying the board output?

Yes.

Hi,
forgot where I left off my last msg, so I'll repeat it here:
After the apt-get update/upgrade, I used the std. install:
sudo apt-get install arduino
Open programming:
the desktop Arduino IDE icon starts an hourglass for about 15 seconds, then goes away; no windows open.
On a terminal window I enter
arduino
and get the following error: /usr/local/bin/arduino: line 35: /home/pi/Downloads/arduino-1.8.9/java/bin/java: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Can you tell what this error points to and how it can be fixed?
Thanks again for any and all help!
Stefan

Stefanolof:
I used the std. install:
sudo apt-get install arduino

When you do that, you get an extremely outdated, and possibly modified version of the Arduino IDE. Please uninstall that thing, download the latest official version of the Arduino IDE via the "Linux ARM 32 bits" link at this page:

and then install it. Hopefully that will solve your java error.

Thanks! The "blink" program works! Now on to the next step. :slight_smile:

Way cool! It all begins with blink. Enjoy!
Per