Proper way to wire two SPI devices?

Seeing Wiring diagrams and devices attached to breadboards it seems I would simply clear a bit of insulation from The Wire going into the first SPI device and solder the end of a wire to it and run that second wire to the next device. Is this all I do or is there a better way to run the wiring?

Thank you

That will work. Do remember to use separate wires for the CS/SS pins, only MOSI, MISO and CLK are shared.

Maybe there’s a better way indeed, but that depends on your physical layout.

right. I have 2 devices. so share the 3 pins and individual ss pins. I get how it works, and attaching 1 at a time i get both devices to work (don't have the 2nd device in the mail yet, but ss pin works when switching). I'm just worried about physically attaching them and the best way to do it.

As said the best way depends largely on your physical layout, just make sure they're all connected to one another. Other than that, as far as I know it doesn't matter at all in which order stuff is on the wire.
Standard rules apply, of course. Keep away from interference, keep wires as short as possible, etc.

wvmarle:
As said the best way depends largely on your physical layout, just make sure they're all connected to one another. Other than that, as far as I know it doesn't matter at all in which order stuff is on the wire.
Standard rules apply, of course. Keep away from interference, keep wires as short as possible, etc.

yea i might have issues with the short part. I will be connecting everything from the arduino inside a waterproof box to a connector inside the box, so on the half of the connector on the outside of the box i can just attach 2 wires to the pin and run them to each device. i might be about 16' away from one device tho. the first rfid reader device will be a few inches away, heck, might actually put that one inside the waterproof box the arduino is in. but the 2nd one has to run down the pole, underground and across the street, then up another pole. if it doesn't work i'm going to have to use something in line with the spi wires to be able to send data further.

I don't know the actual limit of SPI but it's not meant for long distance, more for intra-PCB communication. Similar to I2C in that respect. Expect a few meters at most.

Can't you use wireless communication instead? Separate Arduino + wireless module for the second sensor. You just need to supply power.

wvmarle:
I don't know the actual limit of SPI but it's not meant for long distance, more for intra-PCB communication. Similar to I2C in that respect. Expect a few meters at most.

Can't you use wireless communication instead? Separate Arduino + wireless module for the second sensor. You just need to supply power.

I haven't really looked into it. Although that does sound like it would make Annie's of installation. What device would give me the wireless communication? If it didn't work my plan was to use this little transmitter booster circuit thing I bought

Many different options. NRF24 modules come to mind as it seems you have to bridge a quite short distance, which is what they’re great for (typically anything <20m, a little more with good line of sight). Frequency is in the WiFi band, their range is similar to WiFi.
A wired Serial connection should work as well, especially at lower speeds and if you don’t have much noise around.

wvmarle:
Many different options. NRF24 modules come to mind as it seems you have to bridge a quite short distance, which is what they’re great for (typically anything <20m, a little more with good line of sight). Frequency is in the WiFi band, their range is similar to WiFi.
A wired Serial connection should work as well, especially at lower speeds and if you don’t have much noise around.

I think serial is what i have. Still hoping to get lucky. But well see