Protecting a sensor

Hi

First post, so wow and thks - this is a great resource!

I would be grateful if anyone has any advice on protective a sensor from the elements e.g. the wet and cold. The sensor I have is a small IMU. I was wondering whether such devices can be dipped on silicone or something similar ... this sounds so wrong, but mean the sensor will fit where I need to place it : )

Thanks in advance.

Monkey.

Funkymonkey:
I would be grateful if anyone has any advice on protective a sensor from the elements e.g. the wet and cold. The sensor I have is a small IMU. I was wondering whether such devices can be dipped on silicone or something similar ... this sounds so wrong, but mean the sensor will fit where I need to place it : )

You could certainly do that, if you don't need further access to it afterward; epoxy is another solution (if you really, really don't need access to it!).

If you want to retain access, and your space permits, put it in a small enclosure, lead the wires out, then seal the wires with silicone or hot-glue. Once that is cured/dry, put a bead/layer of silicone around the seam of the enclosure, then put it together; if there are any screws, dip them in some silicone, screw them in, then blob some silicone over the screw heads (or down in the screw well/hole).

Done this way, it will be fairly well sealed against just about anything short of immersion in water (and even there it might be good for a quick dunk) - but you would still be able to pull it out of the enclosure if need (albeit with some effort).

Wow - thank you for your interest in my question!

I did think about epoxy, but I worried about how the compressive forces arising from the cure (liquid to solid) would affect the sensor.

Thanks again.

FM