Protecting a working Arduino (from dust, etc)

hi everyone,

I'm putting together a Useless Box and just realized the plush animal inside it has hairs that float there, some of those detach from the body and fly around.
This is something cannot be avoided but I'm wondering how could I protect (physically) the Android device inside the box, so it won't get shorted by a piece of hair and no other issues arise either (e.g. catching on fire).
Doc says Arduino's temperature can go as high as 85C (185F) so I assume it's a bad idea to e.g. put it inside the antistatic bag it arrived in and seal it. Or would that be fine? (I don't want to cook it either. Also don't know the antistatic bag's heat tolerance).

So what's the best way to protect the device in a 'hostile' environment?
(Sad thing is I don't have a plastic box or such thing around)

Thanks!

Doc says Arduino's temperature can go as high as 85C (185F) so I assume it's a bad idea to e.g. put it inside the antistatic bag it arrived in and seal it.

Which doc? It probably means / wants to say that the components on the Arduino can handle an environmental temperature of 85 C. Not that it will be 85 C.

Putting it in the antistatic bag is a bad idea is that bag is conductive. Put the Arduino in a separate compartment or plastic housing inside the useless box.

sterretje:
Which doc? It probably means / wants to say that the components on the Arduino can handle an environmental temperature of 85 C. Not that it will be 85 C.

Putting it in the antistatic bag is a bad idea is that bag is conductive. Put the Arduino in a separate compartment or plastic housing inside the useless box.

Ah, OK, so the datasheet of ATmega328P means it's the tolerance? What's the operating temperature then? If it's "something" :slight_smile:
I read about the bags here on the forums. Strangly I didn't see Faraday's name anywhere. Not all of them are conductive it seems but a housing indeed would be the best solution. If I had one. Or room in the box :slight_smile:

rad1c:
... but I'm wondering how could I protect (physically) the Android device inside the box, so it won't get shorted by a piece of hair and no other issues arise either (e.g. catching on fire).

Unless the hairs are metal, there's no chance of a short.

Wait?? Android?

What's the operating temperature then?

The only device on the board that's likely to get hot is the regulator if you power from a higher voltage than 5V. Other than that the components should not get more than vaguely warm, if that.

Operating temperature is most likely just the temperature inside your box. The motors should be the parts that produce most heat, for the sheer power they consume. Your power supply is indeed another good candidate of producing waste heat.

Arduinos don't need protection from hairs or other non-conductive debris like that; your servo or whatever you use to move the lid of the box and any other moving parts are a different story. Those may very well need protection from fluff getting stuck in it.

Use an OEM ABS Arduino case.

A few years ago we put a Raspberry Pi inside a stuffed toy as part of an escape room game. Worked just fine.

All the "useless boxes" I have seen operate on battery power. Conserving battery power is critical, so you are simply not going to use enough power to heat anything up significantly. :sunglasses:

You do not use the on-board regulator of the Arduino. (In fact, it is basically never wise to do so. :roll_eyes: )

What sort of plush animal has conductive thread? Non-conductive thread will not constitute any problem. Blow it out from time to time. (More hazard to your lungs! :astonished: )

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.