Protoshield features.

I'm thinking of designing a protoshield of a style that, instead of giving you area to build your own thing, has some commonly used components pre-wired to try and more quickly get a project up and running.

For example, I'm considering a row of 8 LEDs, some pushbuttons, and LCD header, maybe a couple of analog pots, and other basics that seem to come up in every project.

Anyone think that would be useful, and what would you like to see on a board like that (keeping in mind the limited number of IO lines is the main bottleneck)

It would be cool when the shield would offer the same connection facilities as the normal arduino. Usually when you add a shield the headers get occupied. When the headers are on the shield as well it makes it a lot easier to connect some custom sensors, leds etc

Usually, that’s more a matter of how the shield is constructed. If instead of using pins to connect to the lower board you use wirewrap female headers, the same shield has that feature.

You just have to remember which pins are “occupied” by the other shields in the stack and not interfere with them.

In the shields I built I added things like an RTC w/ batt, MAX232, 256K EEPROM, IR receiver, etc. The point is, that there are many different needs. I think you will have a tough time designing a fixed component shield that has a broad appeal. (IMHO)

Is there, somewhere, an archive of currently known shields, with compatibilities to the various Arduino (Arduini?) And maybe a companion list of shields in development?

Is there, somewhere, an archive of currently known shields, with compatibilities to the various Arduino (Arduini?) And maybe a companion list of shields in development?

There’s some shields mentioned in the playground, but it seems to be a very small subset of what’s out there, I know there’s a few I’ve stumbled across that aren’t there.

I don’t know of any list of shields in development. On the one hand, it means people are probably duplicating work right now, but on the other, I imaging some people are too paranoid to share their ideas before they’re finished because someone might copy their shield before they finish making it.

The Danger Shield seems to be in the same vein as what you're thinking about.

The Danger Shield seems to be in the same vein as what you're thinking about.

That's main one I was thinking of when I said there were some I stumbled across, and it inspired me to start this thread.

I'm picturing something with more discrete LEDs and less space taken up by pots. Though I don't mean there's anything wrong about the Danger shield, just that the concept is a wide open field.

On the other hand, I also like the idea of at least 6 7-segment LED's, and larger than the danger shield. It would be good for clocks, countdown timers, game electronic scoreboards, etc.

go for an eagle drawing, and let us see a basic concept! becuase it sounds intresting...