prototype of arduino pro mini

Hi,
I have a custom made PCB which is a copy of arduino pro-mini(ATmeg328p) and unable to program it using FTDI, guessing because it has no bootloader(am I right?).
I have on the chip a 20Mhz oscilator, and saw in arduino IDE that the only option for 3.3v pro mini is 8Mhz.
Is there a meaning for the chips frequency during the code upload? This could be an issue?
Thanks,
Omri.

(deleted)

spycatcher2k:
You need to burn 20MHz bootloader if you run the chip at 20MHz

Thanks, can I use an arduinoUno for that? what is the sequence of doing that?

omri_saporta:
I have on the chip a 20Mhz oscilator, and saw in arduino IDE that the only option for 3.3v pro mini is 8Mhz.
Is there a meaning for the chips frequency during the code upload? This could be an issue?

20Mhz is outside spec for a 3.3V ATmega328, even 16Mhz is.

So whilst it may run intially, who can know how reliable it would be.

20Mhz is outside spec for a 3.3V ATmega328, even 16Mhz is.

So whilst it may run intially, who can know how reliable it would be.

Oh, come on! You're only being difficult. OP has never said that his hardware runs at 3.3V.

OP: What you want to du is to use MiniCore. It handles everything you need when working on custom hardware. 20 MHz bootloader? No problem!

Install MiniCore, select the your chip, select the clock frequency you want to use and hit Burn Bootloader.

hansibull:
Oh, come on! You're only being difficult. OP has never said that his hardware runs at 3.3V.

Apologies for my error, I obviously misread the first post;

"I have on the chip a 20Mhz oscilator, and saw in arduino IDE that the only option for 3.3v pro mini is 8Mhz"