Prototyping Project on Arduino

First of all, I don't have any experience with Arduino UNO yet or with programming. However, there's this project that came up and I need some help on it. I'm just crafting a prototype since I don't have the other hardwares at the moment. Please help point me in the right direction to resources where I can study more on also!

Straight to the point this is the process I need to build:

1. Proximity sensor detects object in hopper >> Opens a pneumatic gate 1 for 10 seconds
  2. Gate 1 closes >> gate 2 waits for ready signal from packaging machine
  3. Gate 2 opens for 3 seconds
  4. Gate 2 closes >> "adjustable" delay time before loop repeats again

Prototype I'll be building is an IR sensor, LEDs will represent the gates for now, and a potentiometer to be the adjustable delay! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you in advance, and thank you for taking your time to read this also lol.

Do you have an Arduino board? Have you downloaded and installed the IDE? The IDE comes with a ton of examples to show how to use the Arduino. There are many tutorials on the web, as well. And, of course, if you come upon something that you don't understand or have trouble with. there is this forum.

The Digital examples will show how to read a digital pin, and write to digital pins.
The Analog examples show how to read an analog voltage (potentiometer).
The blink without delay example, several things at a time and millis tutorial show how to do non-blocking timing.

A bit more advanced but will be useful for your program is the finite state machine. Even if you don't use it at first, it is good to know about.

vintergatan:
… I’m just crafting a prototype since I don’t have the other hardwares at the moment. …

Prototype I'll be building is an IR sensor,

I am really interested in how you will do this.
as for the rest of the project, the IDE as groundFungus mentioned, has a lot of examples.
get your LED’s resistors, relays, etc, and some switches.
based on your post, you should be able to get the project to work by combining the example sketches.
at the top of every forum is a sticky post called how to use this forum.
make sure you read it before you post any code.