Providing your users with "Firmware" updates without asking them to download IDE

There's a little project I'm putting together for crowd funding that will run on an Atmel controller (atmega2560). I'm coding the "firmware" using Arduino IDE with the arduino Bootloader. I'm putting an on-board USB to Serial communications ic like the CH340 to allow my users to load firmware without having to buy the AVR ISP to do so. What I am wondering is - are there software solutions that load the program you coded in the arduino IDE without using the Arduino IDE.

I bought an arduino based CNC router machine two years ago and the manufacturer sent me some files, including the firmware loader. I just picked the serial port and it loaded the firmware onto the Arduino Mini without using the Arduino IDE. I'm looking for this sort of a deal

Make a custom bootloader and custom computer software.

You can just distribute the hex file and have them load it with avrdude. But that might be harder for most users than getting the IDE and hitting upload.

You could distribute the hex file with a copy of avrdude and another program that you write to handle avrdude for them.

Maybe use a ZIF socket then send a new controller chip. Or: Crossroads has a programmer. https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=304656.msg2216015#msg2216015

larryd: Maybe use a ZIF socket then send a new controller chip. Or: Crossroads has a programmer. https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=304656.msg2216015#msg2216015

I thought of that. Looking at firmware loading first.

Write the software correctly in the first place. :) How many calculators, ovens, TV's and so on that have had micros in them for the past 25 years have run just fine without updating the firmware? Who really wants to do it? Mainly geeks.

aarg:
Write the software correctly in the first place. :slight_smile: How many calculators, ovens, TV’s and so on that have had micros in them for the past 25 years have run just fine without updating the firmware? Who really wants to do it? Mainly geeks.

it’s kind of you to mention all the appliances that need dick all firmware. Might as well put a toilet in that list. Good thing you didn’t mention gaming consoles, Smart TVs, Phones, Tablets, Players.

If you’d like to donate 200K (the kind of funds your TV, calculator, Oven Manufacturers usually have access to) for a small control tester group and to hire a programmer to check the code, I’d be delighted to not implement firmware update altogether.

Firmware updating is a hugely needed feature when in professional hardware (especially with this being a Music Production oriented piece of Hardware). New features, User feedback, Inevitable Bugs are all bound to happen.

Yep. Nowadays there is no such thing as end user, only beta testers that have to pay for the product.

INTP: Yep. Nowadays there is no such thing as end user, only beta testers that have to pay for the product.

Every company has a mishap, better be safe than sorry. I don't know what sort of an idiot would ever argue to NOT put a feature that would allow you to service the device without paying or telling your user to pay for shipping to troubleshoot the device. Especially when you are selling the unit for a certain size and feature set and have an obligation to deliver the tools you're advertising. If a multi-million dollar corporation like Samsung* could not prevent the Galaxy Note 7 From exploding [or insert any other product with a faulty design or bug, like the automotive industry for instance] then how do you expect a small developer to make a complex device with 0% chance of something going wrong, some little bug that wasn't apparent before.

No need to get so foul. What sort of "idiot" would argue that it's not desirable to ship a product with zero bugs and no need for updates. Oh wait....

Samsung makes the note.

Qdeathstar: No need to get so foul. What sort of "idiot" would argue that it's not desirable to ship a product with zero bugs and no need for updates. Oh wait....

Samsung makes the note.

The question of the thread was how to provide firmware updates, not "what are your thoughts on firmware updates". Banking on your skills to code a program to not have a single slightest bug is idiotic, unprofessional and I hope to god you are not employed by any tech / soft related corporation. Contingencies like this is the reason you would not have to pay shipping to ship the unit back to the manufacturer to get some little code mishap fixed. Seriously, only a moron thinks he's perfect. You might as well go cancel all your insurances, mr. perfect.

If you'd rather be so delusional to think that a backup system like firmware updates are unnecessary then I'm sure that you can shit code that 100% bug free on the first try. Please take your moronic comments elsewhere

Somebody needs a firmware update on their sensitivity.

[quote ] What sort of "idiot" would argue that there are no need for updates. [/quote]

Shit like this get's me riled up, I'm sorry. Having a contingency plan is better than wishful thinking. Believing that you will never make a single mistake is wishful thinking. Contingencies.

Can we discuss possible hardware / software solutions now instead of this nonsense?

I gave you the direct answer in reply #1.