Proximity Sensor Field ? (Advice appreciated)

Dear all,

being new to Arduino, i have a question for a Physics "General relativity" project:

I want to build a sensor which demonstrates the curvature of space time regarding a central mass. Meaning, i have a central object -something round and black, as model of the black hole, for example, or even a sun (a lamp) and some sort of sensor, build with an Arduino. And some little "planets" or "space stations" around, so it its basically a modell of a planetary system with a black hole or a star in the centre.

The sensor basically measures the distance to the star, then computes some sort of evidence for GR. Most likely i use a the cocnept of "Shapiro Delay", meaning the sensor gets a simple "yes" when its points towards a planet (which should demonstrate the effect of a radio wave reflected). Then it basically shows evidence that the speed of this reflection is "wrong" - menaing that lightspeed here is a bit slower than it "compulsory" is (which i canĀ“t, the curvature makes the distance actually a bit longer). So it should be a bit strange, for those interested (it is actually meant for an exhibition).

So what i need is:

[u]an acccurate distance towards the star/u because that effect depends a lot on proximity which comes from all angles (since i would love to have the modell round, meaning accesible from all sides) and [u]a little trick[/u] to have the "yes, i am refelcted" button when my sensor (some sort of antenna, i guess) points "quite right" tworads the planet(s) its "wave" is reflected of.

Is there anything to achieve that "measure from all sides" effect? I looked a bit into infrared and other distance sensors, and even bluetooth, to (just) get an rather "accurate distance" to the central object. But most sseem to be all-in-one, whcih would not, i guess, not work.

Or is there any complete bullet-proof sensor? The thing is for school, mainly, and has to endure :-).

Kindest, i need some advice on the sensors (mainly) and would love to hear your ideas, Richard

I think what you are trying to achieve will take million (or billion) dollar laboratory equipment. One way to make a demonstration of the concept might be (and i say might with a big question/exclamation mark) taking a plastic optic fiber and sending pulses through it and after that bending and stretching a second fiber to simulate the presence of gravitational well. A good oscilloscope should be able to show the changes