Proximity Sensors Consultancy!

Hi there,
I'm working on implementing an UAV (Unmanned Air Vehicle), and we need some proximity sensors of 20m+ detectable range. Do you have any of these sensors or any relevant kits?
Thanks in advance!

You may check in www.digikey.com or www.farnell.com
I also would like to buy proximity sensor to detect metal material...

Thank you for replying! I appreciate your help! I found some sensors on farenell but it need 120V input! I need some sensors of no more than 5 volts input! Do you know where can I get theses sensors, where can I get some useful working schematic circuits?
Thank you again for your help! :slight_smile:

Check it out in digikey with this partnumber,

• MP100701
  • MP101301
  • VN101501
  • GS 100502
  • GS 100102
  • AS 101001
    it seems related to proximity...

If you want 20m+ range then I think you need radar, or possibly ultrasonic sensors. I think that inductive or capacitive proximity sensors are very unlikely to work at that range.

dc42:
If you want 20m+ range then I think you need radar, or possibly ultrasonic sensors. I think that inductive or capacitive proximity sensors are very unlikely to work at that range.

Maximum range for ultrasonic is 18m and not much available, do u know where can I find any of these radars?
Thank U for replying!

Maximum range for ultrasonic is 18m and not much available, do u know where can I find any of these radars?
Thank U for replying!

Given the app I assume the object you would like to know whether you are in proximity or not is the ground and you can use radars for this but a quite an expense in money, weight, size and power all being critically scarce resources on UAVs, if you really need this look at laser range finders. Another ground avoidance technique is to load DTED aps on board and use a baro altimeter for ground avoidance.

If you are trying to measure proximity to objects in the same plane (geometric) as you a different system is needed as you approach speed, reaction time and awareness distance are all related. This is true also for ground avoidance but your approach speed in most cases is far less.

I worked on a UAV that is deployed and a lot of people have tried to work the same problem as you.