Proximity switch to run code/program on a computer when separated?

Hello

I am trying to see if this a feasible idea but would like to have a computer run some code/a program when the RFID is separated (10-20ft) away from the computer

I have searched up and down for related topics but could not find anything in perspective to this idea.

I am just starting out and would love to learn as much as I can .

Thanks!!!

:slight_smile:

I don't know the range of an RFID tag but I thought it would be measured in inches rather than feet (to stick with the old money :slight_smile: ).

You could write a program that sends a regular message when it detects a tag and stops sending if it does not detect a tag,

Maybe you need to describe more clearly what is in your mind?

...R

Trying to turn my security system software on my computer when I leave the house with the RFID chip in my pocket without scanning as making a tag would be to easy.

or even some how making a wireless remote that runs software would work to but I like the RFID chip idea.

Curiousmind83:
Trying to turn my security system software on my computer when I leave the house with the RFID chip in my pocket without scanning as making a tag would be to easy.

That sounds like you need an RFID reader at the exit door - but you would need some means to know if you are arriving or departing.

I don't see that this needs an Arduino. Can't you get RFID readers that work directly on a PC?

or even some how making a wireless remote that runs software would work to but I like the RFID chip idea.

Not enough information.

...R

For distances beyond a few inches you will almost certainly need active RFID (with a battery) rather than passive RFID. The easiest way would be Bluetooth or BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). Do you carry a smartphone? Perhaps a Bluetooth connection to the smartphone can be used to determine if you are home or not. If you don't want to use a phone and your PC is capable of BLE you could get a commercial active RFID tag like the 'trackr' or 'Tile'.