Proxxon MF-70 to CNC

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in converting my Proxxon MF-70 to a CNC milling machine like the one shown in the link.
In the page it says that Arduino Uno is flashed with grbl. As I understand it, I can't make any changes in the code because it is not a sketch. I would like to add some new features like joystick control, extra axis etc. For that reason I think I should modify the Uno code. Is there a way to add some extra code to a flashed Arduino wtihout losing its g-code interpretation ability?

Isn't the grbl software open source?

As I understand it, I can't make any changes in the code because it is not a sketch.

The ONLY thing that can be loaded on the Arduino is a hex file created from a sketch.

Whether the source of the hex file is available, or not, is a different story.

Is there a way to add some extra code to a flashed Arduino wtihout losing its g-code interpretation ability?

Without access to the source? No.

GRBL is just a program (sketch) that you upload to an Arduino. I believe there is an Arduino compatible version. However it is a complex program and while it is certainly possible to modify it I have no idea whether you know enough about programming to be able to do so.

It would be unreasonable to expect people on this Forum to know much about the innards of GRBL.

I figured it was easier to make my own program to control my small lathe - but then I have a greater interest in writing programs than in using the lathe.

...R

Thank you very much for your kind responses. I decided to write my own g-code interpreter instead of trying to modify grbl. It will be a good programming practice for me i think. I'll be glad if you can direct me to a good source.

Are you planning to interpret the GCode on your PC (my preference) or on your Arduino ?

Google knows a lot about GCode.

...R

Thanks a lot. I think i will write the interpreter on the Arduino. Just sending g-code from serial port will be much easier if i want to use different computers or maybe just an SD card. Having an Arduino code for that purpose would be very cool for further development.