PSU tester for ATX bench power?

I have one of these:

Certainly looks just like the components used to hack a PSU to be a poor man's bench power. Is it feasible just to use the already made rails? It gets warm quickly, but I am assuming this is normal. Anyone else just used one of these instead of banana posts and all that?

Given the name, and that it's covered with resisters, I assume this thing is designed to load the various power rails provided by a PSU to make sure they provide the required voltage and current under load.

This seems like the opposite of a power supply. If you have a PSU and want to use it to provide bench power, can't you just connect to the PSU's output connectors?

That's what I was asking. I want to just use this with an ATX PSU to avoid having to build anything else. Just wondered if anyone else had taken this easy route. :)

(From what I understand you can't just use the PSU without the resistive loads, otherwise it might lose its magic smoke)

It’s true that some power supplies need to have a minimum load applied to prevent the output voltage from floating up. But the minimum load is small, and nothing like the sort of thing that would need the big high power resisters you’ve got there.

As far as I can see it’s designed to apply a load test to the PSU to make sure it holds up the required volts and amps under load. It’s not something you need in order to use the PSU as a general power supply. Why don’t you simply measure the output voltages of your PSU off load and see whether they’re correct? Quite likely you can simply use it as is without any frigging about with dummy loads.

Cool, that answers my silly question then. The reason I asked really is, I had seen some tutorials online, and the used the same style of mega-resistors as pictured. (The white bars) I won’t worry about it for now, I don’t have the need just yet for external power, I was just thinking ahead.