PTP Camera + Mega + LoRa -> Data Transfer. Is it possible?

Hi!

I want to implement my small project for transfer captured images from PTP cameras like Canon A512.

I have two LoRa transmitters, I tested it and it works fine!

Now I want to turn it to the useful things and transfer data (I suppose it will be jpeg images) from the camera like a Canon PowerShot A512.

Could you please hint me is it possible in principle, and
which of the library I should use for that?

Currently, I have:
Two Arduino Mega, two LoRa transmitters, and all other stuff like logical level converters, resister, breadboard and so on.

How big are the images and what is the distance between the Camera (as transmitter) and receiver ?

How often will the images be sent ?

Possible in principle.

LoRa is meant for low speed, low power, long distance transmission. It's not meant for large quantities of data, which for LoRa terms is tens of kilobytes a day. That's far less than a typical photo.

Why did you pick LoRa over one of several much faster radio communication methods?

How do you plan to connect the Arduino to the camera? What communication protocol do you want to use here?

How big are those photos, and how many a day/hour do you want to transfer?

srnet:
How big are the images and what is the distance between the Camera (as transmitter) and receiver ?

800x600

srnet:
How often will the images be sent ?
Possible in principle.

1 per 4-6h will be enough.

wvmarle:
Why did you pick LoRa over one of several much faster radio communication methods?

If you can suggest me another way to fast pass data with Arduino, I will be thankful.

wvmarle:
How do you plan to connect the Arduino to the camera? What communication protocol do you want to use here?

This is the question of this topic. If we forget about data transfer and get a simpler case:
How to receive the image (jpeg-file) from the camera (with a PTP protocol)?

nen777w:
800x600

In what units might that be ?

The important bit to know is the file size, kilobytes etc.

I would certainly not discount LoRa, but how much data you are moving, the distance and where this location are critical bits of information …

HC12, RFM69, RF24, Bluetooth, WiFi... just to name a few options, assuming you want wireless.

Other considerations such as power consumption, distance and environment where it's used are important indeed.

nen777w:
How to receive the image (jpeg-file) from the camera (with a PTP protocol)?

What exact options does the camera make available?

srnet:
In what units might that be ?

The important bit to know is the file size, kilobytes etc.

In pixels, the image size depends on the many factors (for example JPEG compression ratio, or from the photo).
But once again! I asked not about data transmission.
I asked about how to work with the camera under PTP protocol.

As a camera image is in any case way too big to hold in the Arduino's memory, the Arduino can do no more than move bytes from this PTP thing to a wireless transmission device. This makes the wireless protocol highly relevant for your overall solution.

So PTP is a picture transfer protocol. No idea if there are any Arduino implementations of this; a quick Google search came out pretty empty.

What you also still didn't tell us (it's the third and last time I'm asking - without this information your project is totally dead in the water) is how you plan to connect the Arduino to the camera. What interface does the camera have available?

wvmarle:
What you also still didn't tell us (it's the third and last time I'm asking - without this information your project is totally dead in the water) is how you plan to connect the Arduino to the camera. What interface does the camera have available?

This camera has USB interface. And I already plugged it to my PC and successfully used with this utility http://capture.sourceforge.net/
Now I want to do the same with Arduino. And of course, I do not need to store images in Arduino. I just want to know is it possible to read it chunk by chunk and what the libraries I should use for that.

So you need an Arduino with USB interface, that can be a USB host (I assume the camera is client only - if not it becomes easier). An Arduino Due has that functionality using the USBHost library. You can't do this with a Mega unless the camera can be a USB host by itself, which is highly unlikely.

Maybe you can find an Arduino library to interface with the PTP protocol; as said I came up empty, but didn't search hard either. I'll leave that to you. You'll also have to research the PTP protocol, see if it supports such reading by block.

The moment you have those blocks in your Arduino's memory it's of course pretty straightforward to get it to the wireless interface. I trust you to have a way for your receiving Arduino to do something useful with that data.