Purchasing Arduino & Accessories in the UK (Great Britain)

Does anyone know where I can buy, either in store or on-line (pref) cheaply?

I am finding this Arduino and Shields are very expensive for what some of these shields and daughter boards do.

I was looking to build a dedicated webserver that could be just plugged in to an ethernet cable, not bothered if it is PoE at all but the cost of it and the Arduino (average) I can get a bunch of bits from a computer fare and knock a micro system together instead, however, that defeats the objective of having a simple dedicated server for the Scout groups use.

I was also hoping to use an Arduino with my netbook and use it as an educational tool with the local Beaver & Cub Scout pack that I am an assistant leader of. Given the cost involved, it is prohibitive for both scenarios. I know that the Scouts would be wanting to build a robot, most kids would, so any pointers on how this can be done cheaply is appreciated.

So if anyone knows where I can obtain Original or Cloned Arduinos that are compatible with the Arduino IDE, I would appreciate the advice, sign posting and leg up on to the prototyping ladder.

See the thread entitled 'Maplin' in Bar Sport section.

I already know about Maplins, they are very expensive, most of the items in Maplins product line I have been able to source cheaper off places like Ebay. I bought an SD card from an online supplier for £4.99 that was on sale in Maplins for £12.99, same make, spec and manufacturer. Just one example, generally I find them to be 4 to 5 times more expensive than the actual products worth.

What I am after is a supplier that supplies items cheaply as I am unemployed, have very little money to fund a project off my own back and any items need to be compatible with Arduino's IDE.

MarkG:
I already know about Maplins, they are very expensive.

The thread in question (with Maplins UK in the title) lists various other alternative sources to buy stuff in the UK besides Maplins. So check it out.

After looking at some suggested site, I have to say that I am now leaning towards a Pi.

The reason being is the fact it has more to offer than an Arduino, that does not mean that I am not going to get one! But the cost of a Pi, found a starter kit for £40 which includes the case, 8GB SD and its the Modle B with 512MB onboard Ram.

I know that the Arduino is not meant to be a PC but it would at the moment be something that I can easily set up, when you break the cost of getting an Arduino + Ethernet and power needs for the unit, we are talking easily three times the price of a Pi.

Without wanting to sounding rude, Arduino have priced themselves out of the market. I would need a base unit, I then would need the Ethernet Shield which does not include an SD card, so I would have to get one of them as well, power supply is another factor, adding it all up, were getting towards the £100 mark and I haven't even got a case for that price.

All I can say at this moment is I am disappointed that I can't afford an Arduino at this moment in tome or for the foreseeable future.

=(

An Arduino is not the right platform for a web server. It is memory limited, does not have ethernet, etc. If you were doing a web server, a Rasberry Pi is a more appropriate platform. On the other hand, if you wanted to control servos/leds/etc. in real time, an Arduino is a more appropriate choice.

MarkG:
After looking at some suggested site, I have to say that I am now leaning towards a Pi.

Precisely what I would suggest.

MarkG:
The reason being is the fact it has more to offer than an Arduino, that does not mean that I am not going to get one!

There are other options, but in general, the Pi is the cheapest to get the job done. If you are serious, I think you will.

MarkG:
But the cost of a Pi, found a starter kit for £40 which includes the case, 8GB SD and its the Model B with 512MB onboard Ram.

The case can be quite (inappropriately) expensive - some are priced similar to the Pi itself - but you really do need one.

MarkG:
I know that the Arduino is not meant to be a PC but

And that is precisely the case.

MarkG:
it would at the moment be something that I can easily set up,

I don't think so. Setting up an Arduino as a Web server is anything but trivial. For the Pi, there are many tutorials, if not purpose-built packages.

MarkG:
when you break the cost of getting an Arduino + Ethernet and power needs for the unit, we are talking easily three times the price of a Pi.

Actually, finding a power supply for a Pi (or Funduino) is not so easy either.

In short, the Pi will do the job as web-server, though admittedly I have not done it yet myself (and it was the reason I got the Pi :D).

MarkG:
All I can say at this moment is I am disappointed that I can't afford an Arduino at this moment in time or for the foreseeable future.

Oh, I very much doubt that! A plain "Pro Mini" or really cheap clone plus a USB-TTL converter and a breadboard is a fantastic way to start with them and dirt cheap, rather than wanting to make it into a full-fledged PC, web-server or whatever.

Interestingly, a Pi can itself run the IDE to program the Arduino.